Director of Accountability at Maya Angelou Public Charter Schools
- Job posted by Maya Angelou Schools and See Forever Foundation
5600 East Capitol Street Northeast
District of Columbia
Since it began operating in 1997, the See Forever Foundation's mission has been to create learning communities in lower income urban areas where all students, particularly those who have not succeeded in traditional schools, can succeed academically and socially. The Foundation operates the Maya Angelou Public Charter Schools in DC, as well as the Maya Angelou Academy at New Beginnings’ secure facility for committed youth in Laurel, MD. Our students develop the academic, social, and employment skills they need to build rewarding lives and promote positive change.
If you are interested in learning more about See Forever, please visit our website at www.seeforever.org.
At the Maya Angelou Schools, the key to our success is rooted in building trusting, respectful and nurturing relationships with each other. We strive to create safe spaces for all to be able to reach their limitless potential. We are at our best when we work together to ensure the unique needs of our community are met. We empower each other to grow successfully so we can see forever! This is how we live the Maya Way, even when no one is watching.
The Director of Accountability will support the Maya Angelou Schools efforts to be a data fluent organization that can measure the impact of its work with opportunity youth. The position serves as the voice of accountability for Maya Angelou Schools and supports the integration of local and federal regulations into school operations. The Director develops and maintains systems to ensure the availability of high-quality data for informed decision-making and the passing of external audits. The Director promotes accountability literacy among staff of education and juvenile justice policy that impacts our work. The Director reports to the Managing Director of Performance and Accountability and manages one analyst.
- Monitor charter, state and federal policy related to school accountability and operations and ensure that school procedures are aligned to current guidance.
- Serves as subject matter expert with deep expertise in school accountability systems to conduct analysis on metrics and represent the organization in external accountability discussions.
- Develop or maintain procedures for the collection and validation of data for charter, state and federal reporting. Provides and maintains an annual validation and reporting calendar that is shared with school staff.
- Validate and submit data that is reported to external agencies, particularly the state education office and charter authorizer.
- Collaborate with members of the senior leadership team to set annual schedules and timelines for administration of state and district assessments.
- Work cooperatively with directors and campus staff in developing and implementing student assessment procedures so that data is accurate, accessible and up-to-date for use in a continuous improvement cycle.
- Support the data team in the implementation of policies around responsible and effective data collection and sharing, safe data storage of sensitive information.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about joining our mission and have a demonstrated commitment to the education attainment of students who have struggled in traditional settings. The candidate will have significant knowledge and experience in education policy and its implementation into operating procedures. The candidate will also be able to demonstrate high technical skills across cloud-based platforms and analytic tools. Lastly a successful candidate must be able to work in a very busy interactive environment and perform tasks accurately and quickly.
Desired qualifications include:
- Four or more years of experience in education sector or nonprofit management, particularly in the areas of compliance, accountability or policy
- Two or more years of experience of managing and growing a team member
- Experience conducting impact analysis and evaluating accountability measures
- Exhibit a high level of technical skills with experience using multiple software programs (Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Cloud-based databases, etc.). Experience with educational software, business intelligence software, and statistical packages highly desired
- Display communication skills, oral and written, that are engaging and effective with a variety of stakeholders (parents, students, community representatives, teachers, etc.) and in a variety of contexts (one-on-one, large group, video conferencing, etc.)
- Experience working in a high-demand environment, managing multiple projects with deadlines simultaneously and producing expected results for each
- A Bachelor’s Degree in policy or quantitative discipline, Master’s Degree or additional certification highly desirable
- Experience working with adolescents or in school settings that serve non-traditional student populations
Our salaries are comparable to those of other public schools in the District of Columbia area. In addition, See Forever offers a robust benefits plan, including health care coverage, HSA/FSA and dependent care accounts, voluntary dental, vision, short term and long term disability options, commuter benefits, a 401k retirement savings plan, student loan refinancing options, and the opportunity to positively impact students with a broad range of experiences and backgrounds.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please upload cover letter that summarizes your qualifications for this position and resume in PDF format.