Details: Compensation is commensurate with experience. GoodWeave also offers a generous benefits package.
POSITION TITLE: Program Officer, Capacity Building Unit
ORGANIZATION: GoodWeave International
POSITION LOCATION: Washington, DC
SUPERVISOR: Senior Program Manager
GoodWeave International (www.GoodWeave.org):
GoodWeave International works to end child labor in global supply chains. GoodWeave fulfills its mission by creating market demand for products certified as free of child and forced labor, monitoring supply chains, rescuing and educating child laborers, and providing critical services for workers and their families.
Having proven its model in the South Asian carpet industry and built partnerships with some of the world’s leading brands, such as Target Corporation, Macy’s, and The Otto Group, the organization is now expanding operations on the ground and into new product categories. GoodWeave is adapting its market-driven System to new sectors including home textiles, apparel, fashion jewelry, tea and is helping to create a “better brick” industry in Nepal. Being a part of the GoodWeave team is to be on the frontlines of the burgeoning movement to end modern slavery and of an award-winning social entrepreneurial team.
Overview of the Position:
The Program Officer will join GoodWeave International as a part of the program team that is focused on capacity building, and work as assigned with the three country teams in India, Nepal and Afghanistan to support programs in the tea and brick sectors. Reporting to the Senior Program Manager, the successful candidate will take responsibility for specific sectors and thematic areas as assigned and per organizational requirements. The Program Officer reports to the Senior Manager charged with oversight of these programs. The position is based in Washington, D.C., with some travel to South Asia.
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated team player, well-organized, adept at building relationships inside and outside the organization, and with a track record as an independent thinker and problem solver. S/he will possess a commitment to GoodWeave’s values and work ethic and ideally have experience working in issues of social justice.
Specific duties include:
- Support the Senior Program Manager with a portfolio of projects, including meeting deliverables and budgetary execution, and preparation of donor reports as per contractual commitments;
- Coordinate with the Senior Manager and points of contact with the country teams and project partners to ensure effective implementation and delivery of capacity building programs, including execution of work plans and budgets; training; development of capacity building tools and frameworks; facilitation of good team communication during implementation; and reporting;
- Support recruitment and supervision of consultants when necessary;
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of strategic relationships with existing and potential donor organizations, as assigned, in order to execute projects and secure continuity of commitments;
- Coordinate with the Senior Manager on new funding proposal development in the assigned work areas;
- Collaborate with communications, business development, and evaluation and learning teams as appropriate to ensure strategic alignment and cross-departmental execution, and to ensure that learning is integrated back into programming;
- Support GoodWeave’s participation in external fora and events, company meetings and interactions with civil society stakeholders to build knowledge of the program and GoodWeave’s work;
- Contribute to GoodWeave’s annual planning and budgeting process and to the learning program; prepare reports and presentations for internal and external events;
- Minimum five years project management or related experience, preferably in a socially responsible business environment;
- Understanding of and passion for GoodWeave’s mission and socially driven business model;
- Experience with facilitation, developing content for and delivering training modules;
- Experience actively contributing to the success of programs, through input on strategy, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- Experience working independently, meeting multiple deadlines and performing multiple assignments;
- Ability to collaborate with diverse team members and contribute to a team environment, particularly working with international teams;
- Experience with issues of child labor, sustainable production, standards and certification, partnership development, fundraising, and/or knowledge of South Asia are pluses;
- Experience or expertise in the tea or brick sectors is not required for success, but could be pluses;
- Understanding of project management tools, including theory of change and results framework;
- Team orientation, with experience working with remote and/or international teams;
- Capacity to express ideas clearly in writing, excellent interpersonal, presentation and organizational skills;
- Native level English language; other language ability an asset;
- Ability and willingness to travel as required.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree strongly preferred
Conditions of Employment:
GoodWeave is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law. Employment is contingent on the results of a background investigation and positive references.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please email resume and cover letter, explaining why your skills and experience are suitable for this position to:
Chief Program Officer