Full Time Contract
In this role, you will work primarily with SDSN’s Thematic Research Network on Data and Statistics (TReNDS). TReNDS is one of SDSN’s most active networks, comprised of 20+ experts from the global data community. TReNDS conducts cutting edge research on evolving data ecosystems, and provides catalytic support to Solutions Initiatives, innovations in data and technology which provide pathways to sustainable development. The position will also support an emerging global SDSN initiative on sustainable land use and food systems, as well as general SDSN Secretariat communications.
As Communications and Outreach Manager you will be largely responsible for editing and producing TReNDS publications, including flagship reports, briefs and blogs. You will implement the communications and engagement strategy for TReNDS and its members to increase its audience size and depth and improve messaging, branding, and positioning. You will liaise directly with members of the expert Network and develop and maintain an inventory of current projects and initiatives underway, thereby helping to amplify members’ work. As Manager you will also assist with planning for major TReNDS events. Working in tandem with SDSN colleagues, you will help to design and manage event-related publications, social media, and websites. Additional responsibilities include managing the production of the TReNDS newsletter, updating an online calendar, and organizing event video production and archives.
The Manager will also provide communications support to an emerging SDSN initiative on sustainable land use and food systems (FABLE). This will include: preparing online articles, blogs and social media to showcase research; planning public events; and developing a project specific outreach and communications strategy. In a broader sense, you will support the overall communication needs of SDSN and be expected to contribute to tasks such as refining an organization-wide communications strategy, coordinatingsocial media and outreach activities, and supporting special events.
Outreach and Engagement: Implementation & Monitoring
- Lead the execution of the TReNDS communications and outreach strategy; provide similar support for FABLE and Open Data Watch activities.
- Create and update on an ongoing basis a matrix of TReNDS members and current projects to drive member engagement
- Develop and execute event- and publication-specific outreach strategies, including targeted promotion through social media, websites, and associated newsletters.
- Support and, where necessary, lead the organization of events or meetings, including the development of event specific and outreach communication plans
- Written Communications: Production and Design
- Manage the editing and production of TReNDS publications, including flagship reports, briefs and blogs.
- Create and apply existing design templates to suit needs of TReNDS publications.
- Using InDesign, produce high-quality final formatting and design of TReNDS outputs.
- Maintain TReNDS and FABLE web pages with up-to-date information and events.
- Develop and edit written and visual content optimized for various communications channels including blogs and op eds with TReNDS members, and content for SDSN monthly newsletter
- The candidate must have the right to work in the United States.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in public relations and/or communications
- Knowledge of sustainable development and passion for the mission of the Sustainable Development Solutions Network
- Interest and/or experience in using and promoting data to drive sustainable development preferred
- Demonstrated experience in an academic, non-profit or international organization setting highly desired
- Professional fluency in English required, other languages a plus.
- Exceptional writing, editing, and oral communications skills required (experience in translation or copy-editing material from non-native English speakers preferred).
- Proficiency with content management systems (WordPress or Medium preferred).
- Experience creating and managing social media messaging and accounts.
- Proficiency in graphic design and digital content development tools required (Adobe Creative Suite preferred).
- Adept at learning and navigating new skills and technologies quickly.
- Experience organizing high-level, professional events.
- Strong time-management skills and ability to work independently, in fast-paced environments.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated use of tact and discretion in dealing with a wide range of internal and external constituents required.
- Candidates should be self-motivated, entrepreneurial, and a strong team player.
- Location: This position will be based in New York, NY. (Please note that candidates must have prior authorization to work in the United States, as we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.)
- Contract length: We offer a 12-to-16-month contract, with the possibility of renewal.
- Salary is commensurate with experience and includes a generous benefits package.
- Reporting: This position reports to the director of the data program.
- Travel: This position will require international travel.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, submit a CV and cover letter to https://sdsn.hrpartner.io/jobs. We will contact only
those candidates whose profile meets our requirements. Applications will be accepted until
Tuesday 24th April 2018.