707 Conservation Lane
The Izaak Walton League was founded in 1922 to conserve outdoor America for future generations. We are one of the earliest conservation organizations to set an aggressive course to defend wild America by changing public policy. League members and staff combine hands-on conservation with policy work and public education to pursue our conservation goals at the local, state, and national levels. As a strong, responsible voice representing hunters, anglers, and outdoor recreationists, we occupy a special niche in the conservation community.
Are you a social media powerhouse with top-notch writing and website management skills? Then our Communications Associate position might be right for you!
As Communications Associate, you will manage the League’s social media channels, including developing new content, building new audiences, and analyzing what works. You’ll also manage our corporate website, email newsletters, and other electronic communications. Your role is to produce highly sharable content that is creative and on-brand. You will report to the Director of Communications at the League’s 33-acre national headquarters in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Manage the League’s social media channels, website, and electronic newsletters.
- Write and edit content for League communications, including social media channels, website, electronic newsletters, and Outdoor America magazine.
- Create simple graphics for use in social media posts, e-newsletters, and website.
- Analyze online activity and develop recommendations for improved effectiveness of League communications. Monitor changes in social media tools and trends to ensure the League remains current with such developments.
- Provide support to League chapter leaders on web-based communications, including social media and websites.
- With staff assistance, develop a substantive understanding of conservation and outdoor recreation issues relevant to the League to effectively write and edit content.
- Support development of videos and other multimedia content.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIRED SKILLS
- Demonstrated experience managing social media channels (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube), preferably using a social media management tool such as Hootsuite. MUST have experience using Facebook Business Manager to publish ads, create new audiences, and analyze results with an eye toward improvements.
- Demonstrated experience with website content management systems (such as Sitefinity, Drupal, or Word Press) and Google Analytics.
- Demonstrated experience with Web-based email tools, such as Campaign Monitor.
- Experience with video editing a plus but not required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, marketing, journalism, or relevant field of study and 3 to 5 years of experience managing social media channels and websites, preferably for nonprofits.
- Understanding of conservation and sportsmen’s issues preferred.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with League staff and members/volunteers.
- Well organized and detail oriented.
- A positive, professional, and solutions-oriented attitude.
- Ability to travel (less than 5%). Some meetings and events will require overnight stays.
The Izaak Walton League of America is an equal opportunity employer.
The Izaak Walton League of America provides a competitive salary and benefits package for full-time staff. Compensation will be dependent on the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, salary history, and writing samples – including two bylined articles/blogs and several sample social media posts – to Dawn Merritt, Communications Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September 24, 2018. No phone calls please.