Details: nonprofit rate, with excellent benefits package
408 C St. NE
Do you have a heart for social justice? Sojourners seeks to fill the position of Climate Justice Campaign Coordinator at this important moment in history which calls for renewed focus on environmental stewardship. Sojourners’ campaign on climate change is aimed at sharpening our constituency’s understanding of, and addressing, the root social, ecological, political, and economic causes of the climate crisis. The campaign intends to support efforts to build political will and public demand for climate solutions by articulating the biblical call to justice as it relates to the environment. The Climate Justice Campaign Coordinator will assist with all aspects of this campaign by (a) implementing a campaign strategy, (b) building and managing relationships with key coalitions, partner organizations, and individuals, and (c) providing support on key communications components of the campaign, including press events, social media, blogging, and other writing projects as assigned. This is a two-year position with the opportunity for extension pending funding.
- Identify opportunities for Sojourners to engage constituents, partners, and influencers on climate change-related issues.
- Facilitate ongoing coalition work (conference calls, meetings, event planning, and projects) and strengthen/build relationships with partners, both individual and organizational.
- Track media, messaging, and policy on climate and environmental issues; provide regular updates to team members and input on internal campaign strategy.
- Forge and foster meaningful relationships with leaders in the climate justice movement and discern how Sojourners’ unique leadership role can make the most impact.
- Inform diverse audiences about how climate change interests are interrelated and aligned with other social justice issues.
- Develop and implement a strategy to engage the private sector around the moral implications of climate-related issues and the intersections between business and biblical stewardship of creation.
- Adapt digital advocacy resources to maximize the connection between Sojourners and our supporters who are interested in climate justice work and to engage and mobilize constituents.
- Develop resources to equip congregations to lead communities to participate in sustainable practices.
- Manage social media related to the campaign, generate blog content on topics relevant to the campaign, and provide feedback to magazine staff as requested.
- Promote and disseminate faith-specific resources such as magazine articles, blog posts, small group materials, scriptural analysis, action alerts, and other resources to help supporters reach their friends, church members, and relatives with our message.
- Integrate the work of the faith community and the broader environmental movement where appropriate.
- Respond to constituent inquiries via e-mail and phone as needed.
- Support the planning and execution of mobilizing actions and/or events, including rallies, marches, and/or conferences.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least two years’ experience in a public policy, online organizing, or project management role.
- At least one year’s experience working on climate change issues, environmental and climate justice, or a directly related field; educational background in environmental policy, environmental sciences, or a related degree considered advantageous.
- Demonstrated experience in event planning, exceptional organizational and communication skills, and commitment to working in a collaborative environment.
- Knowledge of the intersection between faith and politics, social justice issues, and relationship to the federal policy system.
- Demonstrated intercultural competence among groups engaged in environmental justice; knowledge of the biblical and theological foundations of this work.
- Ability to think creatively and willingness to take on new challenges.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Sojourners and an understanding of its place in the progressive Christian church world; comfort working in a faith-based environment with Christians from a variety of denominational backgrounds.
Excellent benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org or Climate Justice Campaign Coordinator Search, Sojourners, 408 C St. NE, Washington, DC 20002. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff. People of color are highly encouraged to apply.