Details: Salary is commensurate with experience.
The America Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Texas is at the front lines of protecting and defending civil rights and civil liberties across the state of Texas. Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Deputy Director oversees all coalition and campaign communications on behalf of the ACLU of Texas. The Deputy Director manages a three-person staff and serves as the lead communications strategist in supporting and aligning the organization’s coalition work and political campaigns. The Deputy Director works collaboratively to develop new content for coalition and campaign initiatives online and through print collateral, providing project management support for the entire organization and helping drive the organization’s total communications, marketing, and engagement initiatives. The position is based in the ACLU of Texas’s Houston, Dallas, or Austin office. Candidates must have experience with political campaigns, legislative work, HTML, email marketing, social media platforms, and content management systems.
- Manage online initiatives as a tool for activists to advance ACLU of Texas program goals, including developing content for action alerts, social media, engagement and fundraising communications.
- Serve as lead communications strategist in coordinating with the political and engagement programs for all campaign-based initiatives;
- Work closely with engagement, political, and development departments to move followers, volunteers, donors, and activists up and along an engagement ladder;
- Create and implement strategies to enhance the ACLU of Texas’ web presence and drive traffic to the organization’s website and various social media platforms.
- Supervise two Communications Coordinators, and a Content Developer to achieve the organization’s communications goals.
- Serve in leadership role for all coalition-based online and field engagement campaigns.
- Implement project management tools for cross-departmental collaboration for consistent and concerted online mobilization and outreach programs.
- Oversee content creation for the ACLU of Texas website and online presence.
- Provide layout and design support for the ACLU of Texas print and electronic materials.
- Manage development and production of ACLU of Texas publications including newsletters, pamphlets, brochures, issue-specific reports, invitations, advertising, event promotions and other collateral materials.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent combination of education and experience with at least five years experience in new media, digital communications, graphic design, telecommunications, branding, and/or message development;
- Ability to quickly produce clear, persuasive, well-organized and fact-checked materials, as needed;
- Excellent graphic-design and writing skills with the ability and willingness to produce content under tight deadlines, synthesizing complex information from a variety of sources, including attorneys, ACLU of Texas personnel and volunteers, policy makers, lobbyists and public-relations professionals, and other colleagues;
- Proven expertise in graphic design, website development and management, and social media;
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro, and Drupal;
- Experience with content management systems and search engine optimization;
- Creative, results-oriented, self-starting, willing to learn, able to manage an aggressive schedule, willing to work beyond 9-5 as needed;
- Able to work collaboratively with colleagues and other departments as an effective team leader;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and a commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of all types, including but not limited to race, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance;
- Must have a commitment to social justice, civil rights, and civil liberties and familiarity with core ACLU issues.
Excellent medical and dental insurance; disability insurance; 401(k) with organizational match; reimbursements for travel & phone use; and generous paid time off policies.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Electronic applications in MS Word preferred. Submit a letter of interest mentioning where you saw this posting, along with a résumé and the ACLU of Texas application to:
or mail: ACLU of Texas
Attn: Deputy Communications Director Search
PO Box 8306, Houston, TX 77288-8306
Applications are being accepted until the position is filled.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.