Details: Salary will be based on qualifications and experience.
ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION: We are a 501(c)(3) legal services organization, whose mission is to support low-wage workers as they pursue economic and social justice. We advance our mission through the provision of legal services, education, and advocacy. We have offices in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and provides legal services throughout Pennsylvania.
JOB SUMMARY: The Staff Attorney is responsible for providing legal representation on immigration and employment matters to low-wage immigrant and migrant workers in eastern Pennsylvania, including immigration services fraud cases. The Staff Attorney will represent individuals on a variety of issues, with a focus on providing legal assistance to victims of wage theft and other crimes. The Staff Attorney will work out of the Philadelphia office. The position will involve significant travel. The anticipated start date is December 1, 2018.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- Juris Doctorate Degree;
- Bar membership in any state and ability to join the PA bar if hired;
- Knowledge of employment and immigration law, especially U and T Visas, SIJS and VAWA;
- Good interpersonal skills: able to work well with a wide range of people;
- Excellent organization and time management skills;
- Self-motivated, and able to work both collaboratively and independently;
- Previous experience with farmworker and/or immigrant and migrant communities strongly preferred;
- Ability to work appropriately with clients who have experienced trauma;
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a car for work-related travel.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide high quality legal assistance to clients;
- Maintain a caseload commensurate with abilities and caseload difficulty;
- Comply with all applicable regulations, policies and grant requirements;
- Maintain the highest ethical standards as a member of the State Bar and regularly seek out information relating to changes to the relevant areas of law;
- Develop and maintain good relationships with the client community, state and local bar groups and other community groups;
- Ensure that all applicable client files, data and reports are accurate, complete, and timely;
- Accurately track all time and data as required;
- Demonstrate dependability through good attendance, adherence to timelines and schedules, and regular communication with supervisor;
- Embrace and support our overall mission, standards, policies and procedures, and confidentiality guidelines.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Excellent legal research, analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and ability to take initiative in development and completion of projects;
- Able and willing to continue professional development.
This work requires the following physical activities:
- Sitting for long periods of time; occasional bending, squatting, kneeling, stooping; good finger dexterity and feeling; frequent repetitive motions; ability to speak and hear; or the ability to perform essential job functions with reasonable accommodation.
- Lifting (up to 25 pounds of files, supplies or minor office equipment).
- Requires substantial time spent typing.
- Requires driving for significant periods of time across Pennsylvania.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this position. These statements are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this position.
Justice at Work is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance - fully covered by employer;
- Short and Long Term Disability & Life Insurance;
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance of up to $7,500 annually;
- Generous paid leave policies;
- Amazing team of colleagues.
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent Spanish language skills are strongly preferred, other language skills are helpful and welcomed;
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, we will begin reviewing candidates immediately and we may hire well before the application deadline.
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Janeen Browne at firstname.lastname@example.org