Details: Salary commensurate with experience. Open and honest discussion welcomed at 1st stage interviews.
3501 Brehms Lane
Civic Works’ Center for Sustainable Careers is immediately hiring an Employer Engagement Specialist to deepen our impact within the green economy. The Specialist will work with employers that hire from Civic Works’ green career training programs – motivating and helping these employers to strengthen investment in their employees and to advance equity across their workplace practices.
The Specialist will recognize companies that meet baseline standards for fair hiring and family-sustaining employment. He or she will develop with each employer a tailored process for collecting employee feedback, benchmarking their practices against those of their industry peers, and implementing improvements through an iterative process. As an incentive for becoming a partner, employers will receive prioritized access to worker training offerings, the opportunity to use a branding badge promoting the employer as a good company, and preference in competing for Civic Works procurement opportunities.
Through one-on-one coaching and by providing technical assistance, the Specialist will enable businesses to implement racially equitable and inclusive practices and to increase investments in employee wages, benefits, and professional development. The Specialist will evaluate progress and ultimately author publications to share lessons learned with other workforce development providers, as well as make the business case for companies regionally and nationally to strengthen equity and inclusion within the workplace.
The ideal candidate will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously without dropping the ball. This position is an opportunity to engage with the non-profit sector, private industry, workforce development, and government programs. It is also an excellent opportunity to bring about real economic benefits and advance systems change for residents from historically marginalized communities.
Civic Works is a Baltimore-based non-profit that strengthens Baltimore’s communities through education, skills development, and community service.
Through a comprehensive array of programs, Civic Works’ Center for Sustainable Careers is expanding access to family-sustaining careers for Baltimore residents from historically marginalized communities. We support Baltimore residents in building the skills needed to secure quality employment, and employers around investing in their workers and advancing equity across their practices. Our work has been highlighted by Green for All, The Baltimore Sun, The Washington Post, the US Conference of Mayors, the US Green Building Council, the Maryland Clean Energy Center, the National Fund for Workforce Solutions, and the Maryland Sustainable Growth Commission. Join us in creating a more just and equitable economy. For more information, please visit http://baltimoregreencareers.civicworks.com/
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with employers across the targeted green industries.
- Design and conduct a 3rd party survey of employees at area companies. Analyze and share anonymous results with leadership.
- Motivate partner employers to set annual goals and commitments for increasing investments in their workforce, based on feedback from leadership and employees.
- Consult directly with employer partners to assist them in:
- applying a racial equity lens to their hiring and workforce practices
- increasing investments in employee compensation packages and professional development
- improving company culture and valuing employee feedback and ideas
- Develop the objectives, curriculum, and toolkit for training new supervisors within targeted industries. Support partner employers in delivering supervisory training and promoting workers.
- Identify data collection and analysis procedures, to assist businesses in tracking their own progress and to evaluate the impact of our work on racial equity, employee retention, employee advancement, and employee satisfaction.
- Author and disseminate a best practices document to aid other workforce development organizations in incorporating social responsible business development into their programs.
- Author and disseminate a best practices document to hone the business case for companies nationwide to implement socially responsible business practices.
- Collaborate with the Placement Specialist and Retention Specialist to improve job access and retention for graduates from Civic Works’ green career training programs.
- Collaborate with the Contractor Partnerships Coordinator to increase enrollment of past graduates and other non-supervisory workers in additional career advancement training courses at Civic Works.
- Collaborate with the Good Business Works Coordinator and Coalition to spotlight employers providing the highest quality jobs and making the greatest investments and improvements.
- Previous experience or education in business operations or human resources required.
- Previous experience or education in the construction industry a plus, but not required.
- Previous experience building relationships / partnerships and/or providing business consulting services required.
- Previous experience applying a racial equity lens required.
- Previous experience with Microsoft Word and Excel required.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Exceptional personal responsibility for meeting goals and a track record of success.
- Strong management skills and ability to maintain effective working relationships with a diverse team of program staff.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, interpersonal relations skills, and writing skills.
- Ability to prepare and submit accurate and reliable reports.
- Ability to recognize problems, develop innovative solutions and implement them.
- Committed to advancing racial equity across systems in Baltimore.
Certification courses, healthcare and retirement benefits
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to Evie Schwartz, Associate Director of Outreach and Operations, at CSCJobs@civicworks.com and include "Employer Engagement Specialist” in the subject line. Applicants will be hired on a rolling basis.
Civic Works is an equal opportunity employer; LGBT, women, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Civic Works also encourages AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and national service alumni to apply for this position.
Civic Works is committed to ensuring that the commitment to advancing equity is reflected in our workplace practices, program design, and outcomes evaluation.