PO Box 392016
Transition House’s mission is to end domestic violence in our community. For over 40 years, Transition House has worked throughout Cambridge to create a culture where breaking the cycle of violence is an ongoing priority and where people affected by domestic violence can live in safety, access housing, resources and the holistic support they need to thrive.
The person in this position is responsible for housing-related advocacy to the participants in the short- and long-term residential programs, as well as the community-based program. Reports to the Director of Housing Programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meets with clients (both individuals and families) and provides assistance with housing search on a regular basis. This includes identifying housing options that clients are eligible for, helping clients complete applications and remain on waiting lists, working with clients to resolve barriers to accessing housing, and helping clients screen successfully for housing.
- Assists with intakes and screenings for clients applying to internal residential programs.
- Conducts detailed housing search intakes for clients in Transition House programs and assess next steps regarding housing search.
- Works closely with other Transition House staff, especially the Resident Support Coordinators, to stay on top of client housing search goals.
- Attends weekly staff meetings to ensure all staff are aware of and working together on client housing search goals.
- Maintains contact with landlords and affordable housing properties to make sure that clients are put on their housing lists.
- Stays aware of new housing options and lotteries becoming available to Transition House clients.
- Ensures that up-to-date applications for a variety of housing options are available and are completed by all those qualified.
- Escorts participants to housing appointments (such as screenings, apartment viewings, and appeals) on an as-need basis.
- Attends community/provider meetings that focus on housing search and other benefits relevant to Transition House clients.
- Assists with move-in and move-out of clients.
- Connects clients about to enter permanent housing with financial assistance and furniture resources.
- Maintains any data necessary on status and progress of clients.
Additional duties if needed as assigned by the Assistant Director
- BA required, graduate degree preferred.
- High level of comfort working within a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Experience with extremely marginalized people including individuals who are homeless, mentally ill, substance abusing or victims of domestic violence a plus.
- Proven leadership skills and self-motivation.
- Previous experience and knowledge of housing search and housing opportunities for low income communities in MA.
- Expertise providing trauma-informed advocacy and motivational support for individuals and families.
- Ability to develop and sustain strong collaborations with colleagues from multiple external community organizations.
- Bilingual capacity (English and Spanish, Haitian Creole, or French) a strong plus.
- Must be extremely well organized, punctual and skilled at time management.
- Ability to communicate effectively and creatively with adults and children of varying ages.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- High level of proficiency with the Internet and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Able to climb stairs frequently, bend and lift items up to 30 pounds.
- Valid Driver’s License required
- CORI check required.
Health and Dental Insurance provided
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual capacity (English and Spanish, Haitian Creole, or French) a strong plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email cover letter, resume (.doc or .pdf only) to: email@example.com
Transition House values diverse life experience and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Bilingual/bicultural applicants, persons of color, people with disabilities and GLBTQI people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Key words: Case Manager, Case Management, Housing Search, Homelessness, Domestic Violence, DV, Advocate, , Social Services, Social Work, Human Services