Center on Addiction is the nation’s leading science-based nonprofit dedicated to transforming how the nation addresses addiction by empowering families, advancing effective care, shaping public policy, and changing culture. With headquarters located in midtown Manhattan, Center on Addiction is the only national organization committed to supporting the whole family as they address every aspect of substance use and addiction, from prevention to recovery. For more information, visit www.centeronaddiction.org.
Center on Addiction seeks a part-time, temporary writer to develop messages, blogs, guides, etc., on a wide range of topics related to the continuum of substance use experimentation to severe substance use disorders for the benefit of families and caregivers. This may include drug trends, risk and protective factors, identifying and accessing quality care, developing support systems, dealing with insurance/parity issues, etc.
Writer will be responsible for translating scientific research and clinical concepts into consumer-friendly language regardless of format.
A substantial and initial responsibility will be to assist with the revision and editing of content in preparation for a new website launch in 2020, along with some new content development for the web and other platforms.
Individual must have:
· Solid understanding of substance use issues, ideally among adolescents and young adults
· Excellent writing and editing skills
· Experience translating scientific research and clinical information into thoughtful, insightful and easy-to-read stories for a parent and caregiver audience
· Consumer health writing experience
Duties would include:
· Write blog content, original articles, guides, text messaging content, etc.
· Brainstorm, research and develop new story ideas and features relevant to key editorial themes and objectives
· Gather and select artwork, photos and captions
· Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years professional writing experience (for blogs, email and guides preferred)
· Clinical and/or substance use background a plus
· Collaborative team player
· Knowledge of Wordpress
· Ability to work independently and consistently meet deadlines
· Ability to quickly understand and implement editorial processes
This position is part-time for approximately 3 months.
Center on Addiction is the nation’s leading science-based nonprofit dedicated to transforming how the nation addresses addiction by empowering families, advancing effective care, shaping public policy, and changing culture. With…