Do you want to work at the intersection of American politics, Middle East policy and fundraising? Does a rapidly expanding organization that is changing the way people think and talk about Israel and U.S. policy in the Middle East interest you?
J Street seeks a recent graduate or new professional to be our Northwest Regional Assistant. S/He should be a skilled communicator, highly organized, detail-oriented, a self-starter and comfortable working with Excel.
The Northwest Regional Assistant will be a key member of a four-person team working in fundraising, political advocacy and leadership outreach.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Maintaining regional data so it is accurate and current;
- Ensuring data is correctly stored in organizational CRMs;
- Keeping regional plans up to date;
- Researching and identifying new leaders and donor prospects of $1,800 and greater;
- Helping map our base of support and identifying areas of growth;
- Communicating regularly with J Street supporters;
- Planning events and implementing high impact initiatives to engage current and prospective leaders in the region;
- Playing a supporting role in building and maintaining a strong political advocacy structure in the region;
- Helping build and maintain relationships with campaigns of endorsed candidates to coordinate political fundraising;
- Preparing briefing materials for visits and events.
Desired Skills and Characteristics
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- A strong commitment to J Street’s mission, including: support for a secure, Jewish and democratic future for Israel, and advocating an active U.S. leadership role to help achieve a two-state solution;
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, able to prioritize multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and work independently as well as in a team;
- Fluent with technology, data management, and online communications;
- Superb communications skills – verbal and written – with an ability to clearly communicate J Street’s positions on policy matters;
- A team player with a positive attitude, strong team skills, and the ability to work within a structure that includes co-workers in multiple locations;
- Comfortable making phone calls;
- Fundraising and/or event planning experience is a plus.
J Street is the political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans working for the future of Israel as the democratic homeland of the Jewish people. The organization believes that preserving Israel’s Jewish and democratic character depends on achieving a two-state solution, resulting in a Palestinian state living alongside Israel in peace and security.
Launched in 2008 with four staff members and a limited budget, J Street is now a $7 million organization with a national staff of 50. The organization is headquartered in Washington, DC, and employs staff in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco Bay Area, and Tel Aviv.
J Street focuses its work in three main areas: (1) Advocating and demonstrating support for pro-Israel, pro-peace policies in Congress, the media and the Jewish community; (2) Endorsing and raising money for federal candidates who share J Street’s agenda; and (3) Educating the public and raising awareness of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the two-state solution.
The J Street family of organizations is comprised of:
J Street, a 501(c)(4) organization and registered lobby that seeks to complement the work of existing organizations and individuals that share J Street’s agenda through lobbying and advocacy efforts.
JStreetPAC, the largest pro-Israel political action committee in the U.S. and the first PAC formed to endorse and raise money for federal candidates who champion pro-Israel, pro-peace policies, including a two-state solution. In 2014, JStreetPAC distributed a record high of $2.4 million to 95 endorsed candidates, which led to 78 electoral victories.
The J Street Education Fund (JSEF), a legally independent 501(c)(3) organization that works to open up the conversation on Israel in the American Jewish community, educate Americans and elected officials about the urgent need for a two-state solution and organize Americans in support of active U.S. leadership to achieve this objective. JSEF’s operations include its national field, J Street U, rabbinic and educational programs.
Compensation and Hours
Salary for this position will be commensurate with skills and experience. Duties may fluctuate based on J Street event and staff travel schedules. Benefits include paid vacation and sick leave, paid time off on federal and Jewish holidays, health and dental insurance, company paid life insurance, 401k and flexible spending account.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply for the Position
This position is available immediately. Interested candidates should submit by e-mail: 1) A cover letter that explains why you are interested and qualified; 2) A resume; and 3) A list of three references to email@example.com with “Northwest Regional Assistant” in the subject line.