Housing Conservation Coordinators, Inc. (HCC) is a 47 year old community-based, not-for-profit organization anchored in the Hell's Kitchen / Clinton neighborhood of Manhattan's west side. We are dedicated to advancing social and economic justice and fighting for the rights of poor, low-income and working individuals and families. With a primary focus on strengthening and preserving affordable housing, we seek to promote a vibrant and diverse community with the power to shape its own future.
Each year HCC assists more than 4,000 residents resolve housing-related problems through our core programs: legal services, tenant & community organizing, and weatherization assistance.
Housing Conservation Coordinators (HCC) seeks a Tenant Advocate/Case Manager to join a dedicated team of staff attorneys and tenant organizers and advocates working directly with clients providing case management and pre-litigation counseling in order to assist in their legal cases or to provide support to avoid litigation. The Tenant Advocate/Case Manager will be responsible for their own case load and will be supervised by a Supervising Attorney. Although responsible for their own cases, they will be advising attorneys and organizers on handling clients who are need of supportive services and make appropriate referrals.
Full-Time - Reports to Supervising Attorney
1) Advocates on behalf of individual tenants and families on landlord/tenant, housing, shelter and benefits matters assigned by Management.
2) Partners with other members of the legal program staff as requested; duties may include but are not limited to:
a. Advocates for tenants with landlords and governmental agencies;
b. Engages in landlord/tenant negotiations and correspondence;
c. Provides advocacy and/or, under supervision of an attorney, brief advice on housing court matters;
d. Disseminates tenants’ rights information; and
e. Provides crisis intervention, and referrals.
3) Works with the Legal Team to develop reasonable programmatic goals for client assistance to fulfill the mission of the organization.
4) Develops and implements case plans to provide a full range of social services for older adult clients including information about health, welfare, education and recreation services available to serve the client.
5) Screens client eligibility and applications for appropriate benefits and entitlements and arranges for direct provision of services including Medicare, Medicaid, emergency cash relief, housing, protective services, home health aide, and public assistance
6) Contract Reporting: Complete all necessary work for contract agencies and/or foundations, including maintaining accurate database entries including but not limited to client notes.
7) Conducts intake as needed on a rotating basis with other members of the legal and organizing component to advise and assist residents with housing-related problems and supportive services on and off site.
8) Attends relevant trainings identified by Management.
9) Provides trainings with HCC staff, and outside providers; prepare and conduct trainings for colleagues as requested.
10) Other related duties as requested.
The standard work hours for the Tenant Advocate/Case Manager are between the hours of 9:00 am and 6:00 pm, except where deadlines, workload and /or tenant meetings require modification of those hours.
Performance by the Tenant Advocate/Case Manager of the job responsibilities listed above will be evaluated by the Annual Performance Appraisal.
Salary and benefits pursuant to Collective Bargaining Agreement.
How to apply
Please submit cover letter and resume by August 8, 2019 to email@example.com. Insert “Tenant Advocate/Case Manager Applicant – (your name)” in the subject field. Applications will be reviewed and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis.
HCC is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse workforce. Women, people of color, gays and lesbians, transgender people, veterans and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Housing Conservation Coordinators, Inc. (HCC) is a 47 year old community-based, not-for-profit organization anchored in the Hell's Kitchen / Clinton neighborhood of Manhattan's west side. We are dedicated to advancing social…