30 Lafayette Avenue
Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) seeks an exceptional K-12 arts facilitator, teacher trainer, and dynamic arts leader with a proven track record of building high impact and sustainable collaborations with NYC schools to be our next Associate Director of Education who will be a key contributor to innovating BAM Education’s programs, partnerships, and resources.
BAM is the United States’ oldest continually operating performing arts center located in Brooklyn, New York. For more than 150 years, BAM has been the home for adventurous artists, audiences, and ideas—engaging both local and global communities—by providing world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, and film. Over the years BAM has showcased the work of emerging artists and icons such as Robert Wilson, Peter Brook, Pina Bausch, Robert Lepage, Merce Cunningham, and Philip Glass. BAM’s annual Next Wave Festival has grown to be the largest festival in North America dedicated to the contemporary performing arts. BAM Education strives to provide every student access to BAM’s live performances and film offerings while engaging them with high impact arts learning experiences and educational resources.
If you previously applied for this role, please do not re-submit your application.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with Director of Education to lead the innovation of BAM Education’s curriculum development procedures and implementation across in-school, after school, field trip, and professional development programs
- Facilitate curriculum development sessions
- Work with Program Analyst to support the evaluation of all BAM Education programs.
- Co-develop and facilitate meetings and trainings with BAM staff
- Hire teaching artists, co-lead teaching artist orientations, develop and provide teaching artist professional development, cultivate teaching artist ensemble, provide teaching artist observation and feedback, and facilitate end-of-year reflections
- Oversee the development of BAM Education resources in consultation with education advisors and partners
- Provide strategic leadership support and entrepreneurial vision to new initiatives like BAM Virtual Education
- Cultivate and co-facilitate BAM Education working group advisory committee
- Supervise, coach, and support education program managers
- Perform site visits, observe and assess BAM Education programs
- Work with Director of Operations to lead the innovation of BAM Education’s operational protocols and procedures, and ensure that program staff follows
- Develop, monitor, and update education program budgets
- Participate in school planning meetings
- Attend, present and lead workshops on behalf of BAM Education for board members, teachers, guests, at conferences and related events
- Develop and implement outreach initiatives, both grassroots and with BAM marketing department, to increase school partners and program applicants. Includes organizing and implementing in-school and on-site outreach initiatives (eg. teacher open houses)
- Attend BAM staff meetings, professional development, and reflection meetings
- Submit work hours on a weekly basis each Friday via online timesheet system
- College degree (BA/BEd or equivalent work experience required, MA/MEd preferred)
- Must be available to work some evenings and weekends for review of films and productions in consideration for future programming.
- Minimum 5 years arts education teaching experience in K-12 learning environments. NYC teaching preferred. Experience teaching one of more of the following arts disciplines a plus: theater, digital arts, film, contemporary or African dance styles, and/or spoken word poetry
- Minimum 3-5 years arts leadership and arts administration experience
- Experience working with a range of student populations including English Language Learners, students with individual learning plans, neural atypical and differently abled students
- Strong experience in positive youth development and asset-based frameworks.
- Ongoing awareness/application of trends in arts education and youth development field
- Strong curriculum development skills
- Familiarity with the NYC Blueprint for the Teaching and Learning in the Arts, and the Common Core State Standards
- Strong understanding of the NYC Department of Education.
- Strong supervisory experience, particularly of teaching artists
- Strong interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and customer service skills (both in person and over the phone), particularly with arts education professionals, school administrators, teachers, and youth of all ages
- Strong collaborator able to build positive, collaborative working relationships with BAM staff, school teachers, administrators and a diverse range of young people.
- Strong program development and evaluation skills
- Strong project managements skills
- Commitment to ongoing growth and refinement of skills, open to feedback
- Ability to work on projects simultaneously, strong project management skills, and able to delegate responsibly
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Drive applications. Familiarity with Tessitura a plus
- Commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Creative and flexible problem-solver. Able to adapt to new challenges
- Effectively help others manage change and complexity within the work.
- Able to effectively prioritize in a busy, multi-program department
Application Deadline: Friday, June 29th
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package including pension.
Application Instructions: must complete an online application, including both resume and cover letter, through BAM's website - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.
See what it's like to work at BAM on Twitter/Instagram: #SceneAtBAM
Minimum Education Required