Details: Commensurate with experience
337 Alexander Avenue
Youth and Adult Education Services (YAES)
Youth and Adult Education Services (YAES) is a program of East Side House Settlement (ESH), offering comprehensive Adult Basic Education (ABE) and High School Equivalency (HSE) preparation and testing to residents of the South Bronx. Students receive instruction in reading, writing and math skills as well as preparation for the HSE. Students also receive comprehensive social supports as well as Job Readiness, Family Literacy, and Life Improvement Skills.
Counselors are key members of the YAES staff inter-disciplinary team whose purpose is to provide comprehensive educational and social supports that enable students to meet their learning, educational and employment goals. A particular focus for counselors is placed on sustaining students in the ABE/HSE programs and assisting them during transitions.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
Under the immediate supervision of the Program Director, the Primary Counselor/Case Manager is expected to perform the responsibilities listed below:
- Conduct program readiness intakes, educational meetings, student conferences, crisis interventions, case management sessions
- Co-facilitate student orientations on a weekly basis
- Facilitate community meetings, workshops and support groups as necessary
- Provide guidance, counseling, resources, in-house and external referrals and other supports
- Create and implement multiple opportunities for contextualized learning focusing on student employment, job readiness, finance, health, family and future education interests
- Maintain student records; communicate vital student information to the team, when necessary
- Assist students to comprehend and develop plans around the result of the Pre- and Post-TABE tests
- Devise individualized support plans for students
- Record vital student data including attendance, job placement referrals/results as well as contacts with students; monitor files for accuracy
- Prepare, document and maintain monthly narrative reports, daily lesson plans, student progress reports and evaluations
- Reach out to absentee students on a daily basis to identify problems and/or re-engage in class
- Liaison with other staff members to follow up on student attendance and emotional status based on primary person model
- Participate in and present student reports at YAES ‘team’ conferences
- Participate in civic and community building efforts and activities as assigned via East Side House Community Development
- Conduct on-going student recruitment via program advertisement and outreach and maintain record of centralized intake process for YAES program
● Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
Professional Development and Team Planning Responsibilities
1. Participate in professional development, as required
2. Partake in YAES “demonstration project”
3. Participate in weekly and monthly YAES staff meetings to review Federal core data and standards and student outcomes as a means to assessing program quality and to modifying/developing program instruction, supports and service design, as needed
4. Assist instructors to create class curriculum that incorporates students’ relevant interests and learning needs.
Education / Experience/Skills
1. College Degree (B.A. / B.S.) and at least three years of professional counseling experience
2. Experience working in an adult education program
3. Knowledge of the older youth and adult population of striving learners
4. Demonstrated knowledge of community service/ development.
5. Knowledge and experience in WordPerfect/ Microsoft Word and other applications
6. Excellent verbal, analytical, writing, communication, organizational skills.
7. Ability to work in a team oriented environment and multi-task.
8. Bi-lingual Spanish/English preferred
1. Excellent customer Service
2. Problem Solving/Analysis.
3. Project Management.
4. Communication Proficiency.
5. Time Management
6. Ethical Conduct &Team/Relationship Building
This position does not supervise assigned personnel, including front line staff and/or support staff.
Corporate casual. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is generally a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Work days/hours subject to change based on ESH’s needs.
Minimal travel is expected for this position.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bi-lingual Spanish/English preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email only:
East Side House Settlement
337 Alexander Avenue, Bronx, NY 10454
Visit our website: www.eastsidehouse.org
(Please indicate position title on subject line)
Absolutely No Phone Calls!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.