For over 117 years, Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens has been providing quality social services to the neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens, and currently offers 160-plus programs and services for children, youth, adults, seniors, and those struggling with mental illness. Catholic Charities provides individuals with serious mental illness, complex medical needs and substance abuse issues with comprehensive care coordination and case management services. Our Children’s Care Coordination team works with the New York State Health Homes Program to help children and families meet their goals and live well cared for in the community. The program serves children/youth and their families ages 0-21. By helping them gain access to services tailored to their individual needs, we help children and families get the support they need to address healthcare goals and gain access to timely and efficient services within their community of choice.
The Care Specialist has overall day-to-day responsibilities for coordinating all aspects of care for assigned health home serving children living with Serious Emotional Disorders or other mental health needs, complex medical conditions, co-occurring substance use disorders, or complex trauma. Duties of the Care Specialist focus on integration and coordination of physical health, mental health and social service needs. The Care Specialist conducts a comprehensive assessment of the child and family and facilitating their access to the full range of medical, behavioral health, substance use, social and psychosocial services in the community, in an efficient and effective manner.
Children are provided supportive services in their home and in the community. The Care Specialist ensures referrals and linkages to providers and supports are made; escorts clients to appointments as needed; and interacts with various children’s providers, school personnel and the family/natural supports of the child/youth. Care Specialists also make connections to peer supports, support groups, and self-care programs to increase client’s and caregiver’s knowledge about the individual’s diseases, promote the child’s engagement and self-management capabilities, and help the to improve adherence to their prescribed treatment. The program applies a person-centered and recovery-oriented approach to care, empowering the child and family to be active participants in their healthcare journey. The Care Specialist also maintains health home networks with primary medical and specialty practitioners and mental health providers, substance abuse service providers, community-based organizations, managed care plans, emergency rooms, hospitals, and residential/rehabilitation settings to ensure coordinated, and safe transitions of in care for children who require transfer to/from various sites of care.
Care Specialists are required to utilize technology and various web-based platforms for documenting progress notes and daily work activities. Ability to use equipment such as iPhones, tablets, Surface Pros and easily navigate various technology platforms and reporting systems is a requirement.
· Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology or a related health/human services field with two (2) years of direct work with the target population. OR Professional Degree/certification in healthcare field.
· The position requires a combination of skills in the areas of crisis intervention, time management, psychosocial rehabilitation skills
· Ability in linking clients to a broad range of services essential to successfully living in a community setting (e.g., medical, psychiatric, social, educational, legal, housing and financial services). Must have excellent communication skills.
· Cross-cultural competency, outreach, interviewing, listening, advocating, linking, negotiating, engagement, monitoring and clinical assessment skills are essential.
· Excellent computer skills are necessary.
· Knowledge of the community medical resources and their financial requirements.
· Good oral and written communication skills.
· Fluency in second language preferred
We offer competitive Salary and excellent benefits including: generous time off, Medical, Dental, Vision, Retirement Savings with Agency Match, Transit, life insurance and other additional voluntary benefits. EOE/AA.
For more information on our organization, please visit our website at:
For over 117 years, Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens has been providing quality social services to the neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens, and currently offers 160-plus programs and services for children, youth, adults, seniors…