Job Title: Chief Development Officer
Reports To: President & CEO
Supervises: Senior Development Manager
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) will drive revenue growth for Charity Navigator. S/he will work with the CEO in setting the strategy and goals for fundraising and will be directly responsible for implementing the fundraising plan in fulfillment of Charity Navigator’s mission.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with the President & CEO in developing a comprehensive fundraising plan to increase philanthropic support from an array of individual and foundation sources.
- Works with the President & CEO in strengthening and growing positive relationships and partnerships with industry leaders, individual donors, corporations, foundations, other potential funders, and the general public.
- Strategizes and implements tailored approaches for foundation and major donor support.
- Manages small development team, with responsibilities for campaign management, donor services, database management, gift processing, and revenue reporting.
- Works with Senior Development Manager to strategize and execute direct response fundraising campaigns, including online and offline channels for one-time and recurring gifts.
- Coordinates initiatives with the Marketing & Communications team to create a cohesive stream of messaging and engagement opportunities for the Charity Navigator user/donor audience, including shared audience segmentation strategies.
- Manages external vendors and consultants, as needed, including online donation processor(s), lockbox, mailshop, designers, grantwriters, etc.
2. Financial Management
- Works with the Governance Team in setting revenue targets and development budget.
- Prudently manages and tracks revenues and expenses related to designated budget to meet agreed upon targets.
3. Organizational Governance
- Works with President & CEO and other senior leadership to manage organizational governance and health, in support of the strategic plan and the organization’s long-term vision.
- Mentors and develops junior and midlevel staff and managers to encourage their professional growth and staff retention.
4. Board Support
- Works with the President & CEO in advising and informing Board members, particularly as it relates to fundraising and board giving.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Development Committee of the Board.
5. Other Responsibilities
- Any other duties assigned by the President & CEO.
Background and Formal Educational Experience:
- A minimum of ten years of professional experience with demonstrated success in leading a nonprofit fundraising program and a track record of exceeding ambitious goals in a metrics-driven environment.
- Demonstrated success in growing revenues for a multi-million dollar non-profit, including:
- Building a midlevel pipeline, developing a donor stewardship plan, and making successful major donors asks;
- Grantwriting and grant management;
- Managing a direct response fundraising program; and
- Managing online marketing and fundraising.
- Experience with corporate development is a plus.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop productive, trust-based relationships across a wide variety of individuals and groups.
- Strong leadership skills, with history of working collaboratively with staff and teams of diverse backgrounds and experience levels.
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills, a talented storyteller with the ability to inspire others.
- Ability to develop and manage a high-performing team, set and achieve objectives and set and manage a budget.
- A desire for a fast-paced environment with the opportunity for significant growth.
- Experience working directly with Boards of Directors and committees.
- A passion for the mission of Charity Navigator and its core values.
Charity Navigator provides equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, disability, genetics or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Charity Navigator is proud to offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision coverage, paid time off, holidays and retirement savings.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please use the link above to submit your resume and cover letter to apply.