Founded in 1990 by a formerly homeless young woman, Green Doors' mission is to transform live and communities in Central Texas. Green Doors accomplishes this by: creating affordable, safe, quality housing; providing residents with access to supportive services; and educating about, and advocating for, individuals and families struggling with homelessness and at-risk for homelessness.
Green Doors Position Opening: Maintenance Assistant (Full-time, Hourly)
Reports To: Maintenance Manager
Job Description: Responsible for providing property maintenance to Green Doors' housing properties throughout Austin.
Physical Requirements: Must be physically fit and able to move, climb, and lift. Bending, stooping, standing for extended periods, stretching, stair and ladder climbing and ability to lift 50 pounds.
* Replace light bulbs, filters and clean air conditioning vents, in vacant apartments and occupied units, on an as-needed basis.
* Assist with apartment make-readies (includes painting, repairs, carpet shampoos, wall/sheetrock repair, lock changes, etc).
* Perform HVAC, plumbing, minor electrical, carpentry, painting and other repairs.
* Assist in the distribution of flyers and other material.
* Assist in picking up litter, mowing and general landscape efforts.
* Be able to load, haul and deliver donations.
* Be able to do landscaping and lawn maintenance.
* Handle 'on call' duties whenever needed.
* Perform preventative maintenance or other maintenance tasks
Qualifications: Minimum of two years' experience working in property maintenance or in similar fields, such as handyman work or construction. Ability to work with staff, tenants and community members from diverse backgrounds. Must be reliable, ethical, honest, and able to complete tasks independently.
Preferred Qualifications: Knowledge of HVAC, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and basic construction skills. Certifications preferred -- HVAC certification a strong plus (and increases compensation level). Bi-lingual in Spanish preferred. Owning a truck is also preferred.
Additional Requirements: Employee must satisfactorily complete a criminal background check, motor vehicle records check, and have a valid Texas Driver’s License to be eligible for employment. Position requires reliable transportation. Evening and weekend hours may be required.
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Please email a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or send by fax 512-469.0724. Please do not contact by phone. EOE.
Minimum Education Required