The Seattle Symphony’s Senior Graphic Designer position is an in-house position that conceptualizes, plans, designs, and produces a wide range of materials which range from large scale marketing publications to fundraising materials and other internal materials.
- College degree in graphic design and a minimum of 5 years of prior agency or in-house design experience.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to successfully communicate ideas, concepts, timelines.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (CS5) within a Mac environment including Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign required. Web experience helpful.
- Knowledge of graphic design theory, page layout, typography, and color theory, as well as print production process requires.
- Must be a team player with a positive attitude.
- Self-motivated, hard-working, initiative-taking are key for this position.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work in a deadline-oriented environment.
- Experience managing /collaborating with vendors (printers and others).
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite on Mac Platform.
- Some html knowledge required.
- Interest in music and the arts helpful.
- Works with internal clients to ascertain needs and to develop design directions, concepts, and specifications for assigned projects.
- In coordination with the Vice President of Marketing & Communications, ensure consistency of the Seattle Symphony and Benaroya Hall brand.
- Work with the Director of Marketing and Graphic Designer to input all incoming design projects into tracking system and create work back schedules for the project manager when needed. Plans production schedules and workflow for multiple concurrent projects; participates in production and/or marketing planning group sessions and meetings.
- Collaborate with vendors (printers, illustrators, photographers) to complete specific projects.
- Oversees and coordinates the production process; develops and writes printing and/or other production specifications, and selects appropriate production media and materials, such as ink and paper; inspects proofs for accuracy and adherence to appropriate production standards.
- May coordinate a graphics or photographic library and/or maintain digital records.
- Work with careful attention to detail, timeline and budgets.
- Follow projects through from concept to completion.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
The physical requirements described here must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The functions of this position are performed primarily in an office environment
- Regular activities include frequent sitting, standing, walking, reaching and bending
- This position may require occasional pulling, lifting and climbing stairs
- Ability to speak, hear and communicate clearly while handling staff inquiries, telephone calls and customer requests
- Specific vision abilities require close visual acuity for viewing a computer screen and reading, preparing, entering and/or analyzing data
- This position requires repetitive motions of the wrists, hands and fingers for typing at a standard keyboard and regular pinching, picking up and holding pencils and other desk tools
- Must have the ability to lift 30 pounds as needed
The health and well-being of our musicians, staff, and guests is our top priority. With that in mind, Seattle Symphony & Benaroya Hall has a COVID-19 vaccine requirement for staff unless they qualify for a medical or religious exemption. Upon hire, all new staff members will be required to provide proof of vaccination or apply for a Reasonable Accommodation.
The Seattle Symphony values diversity and inclusiveness in the workplace. Individuals who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives are encouraged to apply. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EOE) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, the Seattle Symphony will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.