Details: Annual salary is $55,770 + D.O.E. with generous benefits and leave time.
120 N. Front St.
The Appalachian Research and Defense Fund of Kentucky, Inc. (AppalReD Legal Aid) seeks a creative and passionate leader to serve as its Director of Advocacy. This new position is an exciting opportunity for an experienced attorney who is committed to delivering equal justice.
AppalReD Legal Aid is a non-profit law firm which provides high quality legal assistance to low income and vulnerable individuals and families in a 37-county area including the Appalachian Mountains of eastern Kentucky and rolling hills of south central Kentucky. AppalReD Legal Aid operates a network of five (5) field offices with a staff of 21 attorneys, 2 paralegals, and supporting personnel. AppalReD Legal Aid’s offices are located in Prestonsburg, Hazard, Barbourville, Somerset, and Richmond.
The Director of Advocacy will coordinate and lead AppalReD Legal Aid’s advocacy in its practice areas including housing, consumer rights, public benefits, domestic relations, and utilities. The Director of Advocacy will be part of the program management team and will be expected to:
· Help formulate and implement the advocacy priorities and goals of the program;
· Identify, assess, and communicate emerging issues and unmet client legal needs, including needs unique to populations who experience barriers to accessing the justice system;
· Develop and promote effective advocacy strategies in cooperation with program staff, administration, and equal justice partners;
· Assist with and oversee AppalReD Legal Aid’s significant litigation and other significant advocacy;
· Manage AppalReD Legal Aid’s appellate work;
· Handle a caseload of significant litigation along with other advocacy;
· Respond to requests for technical litigation and casehandling assistance;
· Assess attorney training needs and coordinate program attorney training;
· Compile a significant litigation/advocacy report on a regular basis;
· Maintain a periodic presence in the field offices; and
· Perform periodic litigation reviews with program attorneys.
A successful applicant must:
- Be licensed to practice law in Kentucky or be eligible for admission without examination or for limited admission;
- Have at least five (5) years of litigation and trial experience;
- Have substantial experience in creative and high impact advocacy;
- Possess expertise in substantive legal areas affecting low income people;
- Possess excellent legal, administrative, leadership, and communication skills;
- Have experience working in and supporting a team environment;
- Have a strong interest in serving the legal needs of low income people;
- Have a special desire to work in a rural area;
- Have a particular interest in the problems of Appalachia; and
- Have the ability to inspire others.
The preference is for the Director of Advocacy to work out of AppalReD Legal Aid’s Prestonsburg office. However, applicants who would prefer to work out of one of AppalReD Legal Aid’s other offices will be considered.
Annual salary is $55,770 + D.O.E. with generous benefits and leave time.
Dental, vision and life insurance
Payment of bar dues and one section membership
Loan Repayment assistance for student loans
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should apply to Robert C. Johns, Executive Director, Appalachian Research and Defense Fund of Kentucky, Inc., 120 N. Front Avenue, Prestonsburg, KY 41653 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants should send a resume under a cover letter indicating the specific nature of their interest in the position. Applicants should also enclose a writing sample and list of references. Selected applicants will be asked to visit AppalReD’s administrative office in Prestonsburg. For further information and questions, interested applicants may call Robert C. Johns at (606) 886-9876, ext. 1247. AppalReD Legal Aid’s website is www.ardfky.org.
Submission Deadline: Friday, June 29, 2018
An Equal Opportunity Employer