IHI is a leading innovator in health and health care improvement worldwide. For more than 25 years, we have partnered with an ever-growing community of visionaries, leaders, and front-line practitioners around the globe to spark bold, inventive ways to improve the health of individuals and populations. Together, we build the will for change, seek out innovative models of care, and spread proven best practices. When it comes to raising the quality of health for all, IHI sees boundless possibilities, and while we see the walls in front of us, we will not rest until we reach the other side. Learn more at ihi.org.
Position Summary: As an integral member of the IHI Multimedia team, the Managing Editor is responsible for working with experts and other Multimedia content producers to develop and distribute strategic content for IHI and the IHI Open School. As faculty authors are busy experts, the Managing Editor must rely on years of experience, research skills, knowledge of audience engagement, and exceptional judgment to produce high-quality content with limited faculty involvement. Firm understanding of medical terminology and quality improvement concepts is essential, as is close familiarity with health, safety, and management publications. In addition to developing new content, the Managing Editor is responsible for overseeing updates to existing content, which requires strong project management skills.
The Managing Editor also plays the leading role on the Multimedia team in audience development ' leveraging social media, newsletters, partnerships with other publications, direct traffic to ihi.org, and SEO to bring audiences to IHI content and convert them to IHI subscribers and customers. The Managing Editor must handle various writing and editing jobs on the fly for many different audiences.
The Managing Editor is primarily responsible for the following:
- Developing and improving online content, including online courses, blog posts, videos, and podcasts
- Leading audience development strategy and tactics, and coaching other team members on audience development strategies for their content
- Applying quality improvement methods to improve audience engagement with online content in support of strategic goals
- Following trends and technology in digital media and bringing change ideas to the IHI Multimedia team
- Contributing to the IHI and IHI Open School social media content and strategy
- Running tests and tracking key content metrics, including performance of content in newsletters, on social media, and on the web site, and feeding learnings back to the team
- Optimizing evergreen content to maximize conversion to email sign-up and traffic to strategic, newer content
- Lending deep editorial expertise as needed to improve all forms of IHI media (marketing collateral, reports, grant applications, short- and long-form articles, etc.)
- Writing health care and medical copy, including but not limited to: health care scenarios, CME assessment questions, mini case studies, and didactic instruction related to quality improvement and patient safety
- Performing the full spectrum of editorial roles, wearing hats as acquisitions editor, developmental editor, content editor, copyeditor/fact checker, proofreader, and social media editor
- Keeping the IHI Open School website stocked with new and interesting content
- Managing the IHI Open School blog, newsletter, and email communications
- Enhancing and propelling the work of the IHI Open School team
These responsibilities are described in more detail below.
Developing Online Content
- Establish and maintain the "voice" of the online community by writing and editing the web copy that explains and connects the various aspects of the site
- Constantly improve the usability and visual appeal of the website
- Continuously produce new videos, podcasts, case studies, etc.
- Develop engaging, thought-provoking blog posts
- Plan and direct video shoots (in conjunction with a skilled audio-video expert) when a project calls for videotaped scenarios or interviews with experts. Direct edits to video footage to create succinct, engaging pieces to achieve educational or marketing goals, incorporating images and text for a truly polished piece of content.
- Identify experts (in a variety of fields) whose ideas would engage students and professionals; plan and conduct videotaped interviews with experts at IHI conferences
- Co-write and edit weekly newsletter to promote content and programs; analyze and respond to performance metrics
- Develop and test new formats for content delivery to engage health profession students and faculty
- Develop strategies to drive more traffic to IHI content, leveraging social media, SEO, partner organizations, external publications, and direct traffic to ihi.org pages
- Re-purpose IHI content, especially evergreen popular content and long-form content, to give a fresh spin for audiences and drive traffic to strategic content
- Suggest and implement ways to make course content more engaging, current, and relevant to the target audience based on continual monitoring of learner feedback and metrics, strong creativity and problem solving ability, and exceptional editorial judgment
- Apply quality improvement methods, including tracking data over time and tests of change, to improve audience size and engagement
- Feed insights and learnings back to the team to help content producers design content for spread and engagement
- Coach other team members on improving audience engagement with their content
- Find and engage with strategic audience segments and design targeted content to engage them
Developing, Improving, and Updating Online Courses
- Help shape the IHI Open School curriculum in conjunction with the IHI Open School team and its advisors
- Create a work schedule and assign tasks to individuals; ensure on-time completion of deliverables
- Direct and assess the work of faculty authors, professional writers, and copy editors, offering significant coaching and copywriting assistance
- Write multimedia online modules that integrate text with videos, audio clips, graphics, charts, infographics, various interactive elements, and assessments
- Maintain a firm foundation of knowledge in medical terminology and improvement science while becoming conversant quickly in the concepts covered in new courses related to quality improvement, patient safety, leadership, and other topics
- Know the content of the existing IHI Open School courses intimately, in order to explain it to potential subscribers and suggest the most useful courses for a given audience and to recognize opportunities for improvement
Enhancing the Work of the IHI Open School Team and IHI Multimedia Teams
- Present the work of the IHI Open School and IHI Multimedia Team to a broad range of audiences, whether in person, on the phone, or in a webinar
- Accept and delegate work to other team members, as necessary
- Suggest improvements to team processes
Position Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to structure written and verbal communication in a way that is clear, engaging, and a pleasure to read or hear
- Ability to write fluently for many different audiences
- Ability to meaningfully improve all types of written work and multimedia content
- Firm understanding of medical terminology and quality improvement concepts
- Strong organizational and project management skills, including being detail-focused, managing toward aggressive timelines and targets, and remaining calm under pressure
- Fluency in Google Analytics, social media analytics, and email marketing metrics
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and delegate appropriately
- Ability to think strategically and facilitate productive discussions in order to ensure the team's day-to-day work is aligned with its broader mission
- Ability to build and maintain professional relationships with faculty, including those working remotely
- Ability to work independently and manage self toward goals, while being a genuine "team player"
- Ability to think creatively and synthesize large amounts of information
- Ability to accept and honestly evaluate suggestions for improvement from team members
- Ability to accept a high degree of change and ambiguity as project goals evolve
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's preferred
- Work experience of 5 to 7 years in a health care, academic, and/or digital media environment preferred
- Experience writing and editing documents for a broad range of readers
- Experience crafting online learning or adult education modules preferred
- Experience working closely with a small team preferred
- Must have a willingness to embrace and actively support the unique culture and values of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement
IHI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, political beliefs, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation to complete our application, please let us know.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.