The Education Technology Specialist (ETS) will be part of a team responsible for guiding and supporting the design and implementation of instructional programming at Phipps Neighborhoods. The ETS will facilitate development and execution of academic interventions and learning strategies, specifically utilizing technology, to support the individual learning strengths of our diverse population of learners. S/he will provide instructional/training support for staff and be integrally involved in building and refining curricula and assessment instruments. ETS will train teachers and others on using hardware and software in the learning process. An important aspect of the ETS role is to foster both appreciation and understanding of how technology can positively affect instruction and learning.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Observe, provide feedback, and coach program staff in infusing technology across content areas
• Under the supervision of the Managing Director, with guidance from the Learning Strategist, assist instructional staff with the planning and implementation of engaging, standards-aligned units, lessons, and projects
• Forge collaborations with instructional staff to ensure that curriculum and instruction meet the needs of a diverse population of learners, is aligned with Common Core State Standards, and meets contractual expectations and benchmarks
• Provide on-going instructional and curriculum development support, especially in the areas of science and technology, for instructional staff and volunteers by conducting observations, on-site coaching, and resource development
• With direction from the Learning Strategist, design assessment and goal setting instruments and oversee staff and volunteers through the implementation of these processes
• Coordinate comprehensive academic services for special populations of students
• Work with instructional and administrative staff to set high and measurable goals for student achievement
• Assist the Learning Strategist with training and professional development workshops
• Demonstrate an understanding and practice of the principles of positive youth development
• Attend all relevant meetings, trainings, workshops, outside events and organization-wide activities
• Handle additional responsibilities and functions as assigned by the Managing Director and/or Learning Strategist
• Collaborate with school educators, administrators, and the Managing Director in curriculum design by sourcing or creating new technologies to be used in classroom instruction
• Provide assistance in the selection, ordering, receiving, and installation of new equipment and software and communicates with technology vendors
• Implement and maintain computer networks as well as technology-based learning hardware and applications.
• Asses students’ educational needs and match those needs with appropriate technologies
• Provide technology support, such as troubleshooting and maintaining computer hardware and software
• At least a High School Diploma or GED plus 2+ years of experience in the field of education, preferably including a combination of classroom teaching and administrative experience, in both school and out of school time settings
• Bachelor’s degree preferred •
• Demonstrated record in achieving results with low-income, urban adolescents
• Interest in working with a variety of technology and maker tools: PCs, iPads, 3-d printers, interactive whiteboards, etc.
• Familiarity with research-based approaches to hands-on, experiential, community–based and/or project based learning models, differentiated instruction, mixed-skill and age groupings, culturally relevant teaching practices, formative assessment techniques and working with English Language Learners and students who are striving learners
• Strong knowledge of the academic and social needs of youth who are both in and out of school
• Ability to participate as part of an interdisciplinary team
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Understanding of and ability to meet performance-based outcomes
• Ability to adapt quickly to change and work within a results-oriented environment
• Computer literacy
• Enthusiasm, creativity, initiative – and a sense of humor are a MUST!
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required