Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
District of Columbia
American Oversight is a non-partisan, non-profit ethics watchdog that uses public records requests backed by aggressive litigation and communications to promote transparency and to hold public officials accountable. Since our launch in 2017, our 700+ FOIA requests and 30+ lawsuits have exposed multiple cases of misconduct and mendacity in the Trump administration, including that President Trump lied about being wiretapped, that Jeff Sessions lied on his security clearance form, and that Scott Pruitt has largely turned the EPA over to industry interests. We have much more in store for 2018 and the future.
American Oversight is hiring research analysts to help us identify and develop investigative targets and analyze the records we uncover to drive accountability in the Trump administration and beyond.
The position reports to our director of research, analysis, and investigations.
As research analysist, your responsibilities will include:
- Work with the research and investigations team to identify issues and individuals to investigate with transparency tools;
- Review incoming records that we obtain via FOIA or litigation to identify follow-up inquiries, potential news stories, and opportunities for further research;
- Leverage public sources and other resources to develop additional information and context for the documents we uncover;
- Work with the legal team to assess public officials’ violations of ethical standards and other laws;
- Draft public records requests in consultation with the legal team;
- Collaborate with the communications team to convey the results of our work to the public;
- Execute short- and long-term research plans to support organizational goals and strategies;
- Participate in rapid response research efforts to complement legal and communications efforts.
This position is open to individuals with diverse backgrounds, including investigative journalism, opposition research, corporate or government investigations, and strategic communications. The ideal candidate will have proven research and writing experience, as well as familiarity with the Freedom of Information Act and commonly used research databases. Fluency in federal government operations is also important.
We are seeking individuals with the following qualifications:
- At least three years’ previous research or investigatory experience;
- Experience working as a team and handling multiple projects in a fast-paced environment;
- Proficiency with the Freedom of Information Act and public records requests;
- Familiarity with congressional and executive branch disclosure filings, FEC data, Lexis-Nexis, and commonly used-research databases;
- Understanding of the current political media landscape in Washington, DC and nationally;
- Strong writing and proofreading skills with exceptional attention to detail;
- An interest in government ethics and accountability;
- Self-motivated with an ability to work both collaboratively and independently;
- Sound judgment and ability to analyze situations and information;
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity;
- Outstanding communications skills.
American Oversight is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities, women, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send application materials, including a cover letter describing relevant experience and interest, résumé, and a brief writing sample to email@example.com.