Full Time Temporary
Details: Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience.
401 Bremen Street
Excel Academy Charter Schools is a network of tuition-free, public charter schools serving the Massachusetts communities of East Boston and Chelsea. It was founded to address the severe academic underperformance and low college matriculation rates of the student populations in these neighborhoods. Our founders envisioned a free, public school alternative where all students would be held to the highest academic and behavioral expectations, and college would become a reality. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
The network’s first school opened in fall 2003 in East Boston and now serves 224 students, grades 5 through 8. Excel Academy Chelsea, the 2nd school in our network, opened in fall 2011. Our third school, Excel Academy Orient Heights, opened in August of 2012. And our first high school, Excel Academy Charter High School, opened in fall 2015. Excel now educates 960 students in grades 5-10. At full scale in 2019, Excel will enroll a total of 1,350 students in grades 5-12.
Duties & Responsibilities
Excel is seeking a School Counselor who is responsible for assessing and providing limited school-based treatment social-emotional concerns that interfere with the student’s ability to access and engage in the Excel curriculum. Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assess student needs;
- Provide recommendations based on professional expertise;
- Manage an ongoing caseload of students;
- Communicate with parents;
- Provide counseling and support services for selected students, as needed;
- Work as part of the Student Support Team; and
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel community.
- Full time availability from September-November 2018;
- Must hold a master’s degree in social work or counseling;
- A current social work license (LCSW, LICSW, LMHC or equivalent) or eligibility for a license is preferred;
- Minimum of 1 year experience in a school-based setting;
- Ability to speak Spanish preferred;
- A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the wiliness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas and programs.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit http://www.excelacademy.org/join-our-team/ to learn more about working at Excel, and/or
visit http://jobs.jobvite.com/excel to view a current list of career opportunities and submit an application.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received; candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.