Creative Art Works (“CAW”) is a 35-year-old nonprofit that improves the lives of NYC youth through in-school and out-of-school-time classes, community art-making events, and apprenticeships in our public art youth employment programs. Working in underserved neighborhoods of NYC, in public schools, community centers, and juvenile justice and foster care facilities, CAW provides dynamic arts experiences for youth who otherwise lack access. Our programs build confidence, unlock a love of learning, and teach valuable technical, social-emotional, life and job skills, all while creating profound connections between our young constituents, their art, and their communities.
The Director of Finance & Administration will report directly to the Executive Director / CEO & will also report to the Deputy Director / Director of Development. He or she will maintain, develop and/or improve operational systems and policies as they pertain to accounting and financial reporting and will be responsible for all day-to-day operational needs, ensuring timely and accurate financial reporting, compliance, internal controls, policies and procedures. This person is replacing a third-party accounting and consulting firm which manages the books and records of the organization. He/she will also oversee the existing Office Manager who currently performs certain bookkeeping functions as well as manages accounts payable, accounts receivable, personnel and payroll, risk management, and most other required administrative duties.
Job Roles & Responsibilities
Fiscal Review & Accounting – Manage and further develop (as needed) systems and processes to efficiently support the accounting and financial management needs of our programs and operations
· All hands-on accounting, budgeting, and forecasting activities
· All bookkeeping functions including proper maintenance of the chart of accounts, coding, expense allocations, and oversight of accounts receivable and payable
· Monthly close of organization’s books and records
· Directly manages the integration of information between financial systems to generate reports, e.g., between Excel, QuickBooks, Paychex, Bill.com, and banking and credit cards, etc.
· Develops and maintains an integrated dashboard with system of metrics to ensure efficient display of financials and identification of issues
· Reconcile donation data between QuickBooks and CRM in collaboration with Development Director
Fiscal Services & Financial Management – Support executive management in proactively communicating and acting upon vital financial issues, including budgeting, cash management and strategic planning
· Provides timely and accurate monthly and quarterly financial reporting including budget versus actual, balance sheet and cash flow
· Drafts annual budget in partnership with executive management, provides regular analysis, and supports reforecasting
· Supports grants / contract registration and compliance, particularly with respect to governmental funding and earned income
Internal Controls & Compliance – Ensure adherence to internal controls to safeguard organization’s resources, satisfy contemporary audit standards and all governmental and other similar requirements, and meet industry best practices
· Oversees retention and management of third-party auditor including preparing all required schedules and overseeing and managing the necessary preparation, bookkeeping due diligence and sampling support from the Office Manager
· Ensures compliance with all tax, audit, insurance and other regulatory requirements of all government agencies, including the filing of all tax returns, W-2s and W-9s
· Provides detailed review of auditors draft certified financials, 990 and CHAR500 to ensure accuracy and proper alignment with organization’s narrative as well as assist executive management in coordination with the process of the board’s related review and approval
Operations, Implementation & Infrastructure – Evaluate and maintain to current standards existing operations and infrastructure and related technology and, to the extent necessary, upgrade, design and install new systems and provide any related required training
· Directly oversees and manages Office Manager as well as responsible for oversight of all contracted administrative vendors
· Works to continuously improve the quality and efficiency of operational accounting systems, such as accounts receivable, payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing and oversees the processing of cash receipts, cash disbursements, and payroll
· Formulates and recommends sound fiscal policies, systems, procedures, and forms. Oversees the development of and adherence to legal compliance, all policies and internal controls, including efforts to increase efficiencies and reduce costs and paperwork.
· Oversees finance, development, risk management, human resources, information technology, and office operations functions in support of goals and objectives established by Executive Director
· An accounting and finance executive with operational experience and a proven track record of business operations, financial reporting, and change management. Demonstrated experience in financial management and public accounting, including experience in budgeting, financial reporting, audit, and grants management -- a minimum of 7 years
· Master’s Degree in Business or Accounting or related professional degree. A CPA is preferred.
· Experience in account analysis, allocation, data import / exports, reconciliations, and monthly closings
· Significant experience in efficient coding, budgeting, financial analysis, and the management of grants and other restricted funding
· Clearance in background check and NYC fingerprinting a must
Skills & Traits
· Excellent QuickBooks Online skills a clear requirement and must be demonstrated. Must be have outstanding Excel skills and be very proficient in MS Suite and be very comfortable in a Mac environment.
· Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills; systems thinking and quick learner
· Shared commitment to the organization’s mission
· Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a leader who can positively and productively impact culture as well as strategic and tactical finance and operational initiatives
· Detail-oriented, analytical, responsible and self-motivated, and able to multi-task and create and manage personal workflow and develop working tools for others
· Exceptional written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills as well as the ability to effectively interface with executive management, the Board of Directors, and various constituencies
· Ability to communicate technical budget and financial information to other who do not have accounting or financial backgrounds
CAW, an equal opportunity employer, is committed to staff diversity, and strongly encourages applications from people of color. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.
Creative Art Works (“CAW”) is a 35-year-old nonprofit that improves the lives of NYC youth through in-school and out-of-school-time classes, community art-making events, and apprenticeships in our public art youth…
Must be fluent in English.
Must be fluent in English.