Digital Communications Specialist
- Job posted by Asian & Pacific Islander American Health Forum - APIAHF
Details: Commensurate with experience
District of Columbia
The Asian & Pacific Islander American Health Forum (APIAHF) influences policy, mobilizes communities, and strengthens programs and organizations to improve the health of Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander (AA and NHPI) populations. Our values are respect, fairness, equity, and health justice for all. Founded in 1986, we advocate on issues critical to the health and well-being of our diverse and vibrant communities. We approach our work with the philosophy of coalition-building and developing capacity both for AAs and NHPIs and in partnership with diverse racial/ethnic communities. APIAHF is based in Oakland and has an office in Washington, DC, which focuses on policy and communications.
Title: Digital Communications Specialist I
Reports to: Senior Communications Manager
Location: Oakland, CA (Preferred) or Washington DC
We’re looking for a creative and savvy Digital Communications Specialist who knows the inner workings of the web to join the Policy Network Innovations (PNI) team at APIAHF. Our ideal candidate is an expert at using various digital platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Hootsuite, SalsaLabs, Phone2Action, and WordPress) and is able to churn out fresh and trending content, track important data, and tell the APIAHF story at every opportunity to move the hearts and minds of people across the country. The Digital Communications Specialist works closely with the Senior Communications Manager to implement creative communications strategies that include online digital strategy (including social media and web presence) and media relations (via external consultant). This person reports to the Senior Communications Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be a digital organizer. You will be implementing the agency’s digital strategies under the direction of the Senior Communications Manager. Tasks will include keeping track of an editorial calendar, drafting social media content for APIAHF and community based organization (CBO) partners, and mobilizing communities through take action alerts through Phone2Action.
- Tell the APIAHF Story. You will implement APIAHF’s story collection strategy, with an emphasis on finding innovative, effective ways to organize stories and use them for communications functions to advance policy.
- Make things beautiful. You will assist in the design and production of APIAHF publications, marketing materials, and other media; working with Communications staff/external consultants to implement formatting and layout.
- Drive technology for innovation. This is where you will have to turn on your creativity hat. You will be developing and updating content on our various social media platforms, website, and email systems to encourage engagement and growth.
- Create engaging dashboards and presentations. In this capacity you are the communications data expert. You’ll be tracking social media, email, and website data and developing dashboards and presentations for the agency. Your data tracking will tell us if our digital strategies are effective and meeting agency goals.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or at least 2 years of experience with communications, journalism, marketing, or public communications or related fields.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in communications.
- Minimum 2+ years relevant experience designing, implementing and managing projects focused on high-impact population-wide strategies and/or policy advocacy campaigns.
- Expertise working in a team-based environment.
Skills, knowledge and abilities:
- Ability to draft copy meeting agency standards at a quick turnaround.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and internet applications in a Windows environment.
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, and social media sites, Google Analytics, Hootsuite, and other third party systems used for developing digital metrics.
- Experience working with advocacy engagement platforms like SalsaLabs, Phone2Action or similar advocacy platforms.
- Experience in publishing, coding (HTML and CSS), design and/or copy writing.
- Graphic design skills to make captivating visuals to supplement written content.
- Experience as a social media ads manager.
- General knowledge of health policy, community organizing, campaign design and strategy, civic engagement campaigns and community empowerment frameworks.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, and or advertising with or 2 years of equivalent experience, managing in a community organization and/or designing and implementing campaigns.
- Experience in building community coalitions which engage in collective action.
- Policy, advocacy, and communications background preferred.
General APIAHF Roles:
- Fosters an environment that promotes trust and cooperation among clients and staff.
- Enforces policies and procedures, including maintenance of confidentiality, to ensure that the principles of APIAHF are implemented.
- Accountable for participation in decision making processes and understanding the outcomes.
- Understands the values and principles of APIAHF and applies them in work responsibilities.
- Participates in other activities, agency advocacy, and serves on ad hoc committees as requested.
Mental and Physical Demands:
- Pace of work is fast.
- Standing time required is 10% including walking.
- High level of concentration and attention to detail required.
- Time speaking and listening: 40%
- Environmental and health hazards
- Decision making impact: High
- License or credentials: Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to drive, current license
- Other certificates or licensing requirements: None
APIAHF offers a generous benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, paid holidays, vacation and sick paid time off, 401K contribution and match, commuter subsidy, professional development fund, and paid sabbatical. APIAHF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information about us please go to www.apiahf.org.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please use the Subject Line: “Digital Communications Specialist Search” and submit a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and specify how you heard about this posting to email@example.com or via fax: 510-419-0263.
Position will be open until filled.