3913 Hampden Street
Role and Responsibilities
NutritionFacts.org is looking for a Media and Events Director who will be responsible for developing an overarching marketing and publicity strategy for NutritionFacts.org and Dr. Greger, refining and ensuring consistent messaging across the organization, and managing Dr. Greger’s speaking tour and interviews. Detailed responsibilities are listed below. This is a remote position, so the ability to maintain a consistent work schedule and ethic while working independently is important.
NutritionFacts.org is a completely remote non-profit whose mission is to improve public health by providing the latest in evidence-based nutrition and health research in an accessible format to enable the public to make informed dietary choices. The founder and Chief Science Officer of NutritionFacts.org, Dr. Michael Greger, is a founding member and Fellow of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine. His recent book, How Not to Die, became an instant New York Times bestseller. He subsequently released a follow-up cookbook and is currently working on his next book—How Not to Diet. Dr. Michael Greger is also an internationally recognized speaker on nutrition, food safety, and public health issues. He has lectured at the Conference on World Affairs, testified before Congress, was invited as an expert witness in the defense of Oprah Winfrey in the infamous “meat defamation” trial, and recently appeared on the talk show, Live with Kelly and Ryan.
The ideal Media and Events Director candidate will have a solid understanding of the lifestyle medicine media landscape with a desire to identify and engage with key influencers to grow NutritionFacts.org’s audience. They are passionate about evidence-based nutrition, and have demonstrated success in the following areas: securing press placements, executing strategic media plans, thinking outside the box to garner media attention, and are eager to network and continue building relationships across a wide range of media from print to blogs.
As NutritionFacts.org is mostly represented as a website, experience with branding a website, particularly in the lifestyle medicine/health field is preferred. The ideal candidate would also preferably have knowledge of Latin American markets and be fluent in Spanish as they will work closely with our Spanish Program Director to market our Spanish-language NutritionFacts.org site.
The Media and Events Director not only has to have the creativity and ambition to brainstorm marketing strategies and new ways to work with key influencers, but they also have to be able to meticulously organize and schedule an extensive speaking tour and interview schedule.
The Media and Events Director reports to the Program Director and works closely with the Social Media Director and Graphic Designer.
Marketing and Outreach
- Develop comprehensive marketing strategy that streamlines branding and messaging for NutritionFacts.org, Dr. Greger and How Not to Die
- Ensure communication strategy is consistent and reflects the organization’s strategic vision
- Refine core messaging to ensure organizational consistency in all aspects of communication
- Develop and maintain press materials
- Identify key influencers (such as bloggers and others with a social media presence) and cultivate relationships and engagement opportunities with them
- Maintain knowledge of changing trends and current events in media and lifestyle medicine/public health sectors
- Cultivate media contacts
- Craft press releases to distribute to media contacts
- Work with media relationships to build NutritionFacts.org outreach strategies for both our English and Spanish site
Speaking Event and Interview Coordination
- Manage all logistics of Dr. Greger’s upcoming 100+ city speaking tour
- Book and manage all of Dr. Greger’s travel
- Track travel reimbursement
- Coordinate book sales, AV requirements, and paperwork for speaking tour events
- Manage coordination between the publisher, external, and internal contacts
- Garner media attention for tour
- Manage all logistics of Dr. Greger’s interviews
- Review requests
- Schedule interviews
- Work with Social Media Director on interview promotion
- Genuine interest in media relations and growing NutritionFacts.org’s reach
- Ability to think outside the box and work creatively to strategize and implement new ways to bring NF to a larger audience
- Passionate and mission-drive
- Maintains a positive attitude in the face of challenges and last-minute changes
- Self-directed and approaches all work and tasks with high level of integrity
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Consistently demonstrates reliability in completing assignments on time, responding to communications efficiently and following up on detailed projects
- Meticulous attention to detail with demonstrated organizational skills
- Two years experience in communications
- Experience in the non-profit or lifestyle medicine field preferred
- Spanish fluency preferred
- Experience with Latin American markets preferred
- Ability and desire to work with a remote team
- Ability to manage multiple projects and manage time effectively
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Exquisite organizational skills, work ethic, and professionalism
The position is completely remote. We also offer medical insurance and a retirement plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish proficiency preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please fill out the application on the website.