211 South 4th Street
El Puente, a nonprofit, community-based organization that promotes leadership for peace and justice through the engagement of members (youth and adult) in the arts, education, scientific research, wellness, and environmental action.
As a member of the El Puente Leadership Center staff, the Education/ Internship Coordinator is expected to uphold and work within the mission, philosophy and principles of the organization. She/he must work in tandem with other staff members to ensure the integrity of the educational programming of the Leadership Center, the achievement of organizational goals, and to realize expected contractual outcomes.
- Coordinate El Puente’ Scholar’s internship program, to include organizing community projects and volunteer opportunities, as well as ensuring students complete all required activities.
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of a viable internship program at the El Puente Williamsburg Leadership Center.
- Provide leadership and direction in the areas of individual assessment, educational choices, career-planning and employment strategies for youth.
- Plan and conduct workshops focused on career readiness, SAT prep, Regents Prep, and test prep overall.
- Coordinate & facilitate El Puente’s Academic Support activities for High School students to include tutoring, homework help, project research.
- Develop lesson plans and skills building workshops around academic subjects, projects that are tied to themes of community awareness, cultural celebrations and events.
- Responsible for organizing college prep activities and workshops such as college fairs and tours, financial aid workshops, scholarship writing workshops, family info sessions, etc.
- Keep track of members college application process.
- Participate in outreach and enrollment activities (i.e. speaking at local schools, churches or community centers, flyering in neighborhood, etc).
- Serve as liaison to school administrators and other key personnel as well as other community institutions necessary to strengthen El Puente’s program.
- Work closely with other staff to implement El Puente’s membership process
- Direct academic support work with high school students.
- Coordinate the collection/tracking of participants, academic records and progress reports to develop academic action plan.
- Work with other staff to develop and facilitate structure to support students’ transition to upper grades. For example; understanding common Core standards, graduation requirements, time management, etc.
- Communicate with teachers and school counselors about the academic development of the members.
- Establish and maintain consistent communication with participants’ parents (by phone, mail, email).
- Supervise volunteer tutors and assist in supervising interns.
- Network on the program’s behalf by participating in outside professional development activities, enrolling in relevant professional associations, and doing outreach to other El Puente programs
- Provide general staff and logistical support for program event coordination.
- Attend all general EI Puente and Leadership Center staff meetings and workshops.
- Conduct evaluations on members and interns
- BA required.
- A minimum of 2 years experience in coordinating tutoring/ academic support programs and facilitating college prep activities for youth ages 13-19.
- Demonstrated experience in and commitment to youth and community development, organizing and movement building for peace and justice.
- Strong management and supervisory skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly organized, self-motivated, and able to handle multiple tasks independently, as well as in teams.
- Experience with and/or the ability to learn online database systems.
- Spanish proficiency desired
Medical and Dental Benefits offered.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish proficiency desired
Minimum Education Required