Location: This is a remote position located anywhere in the US, with a preference for the U.S. South.
Preferred Start Date: Immediately
The Gulf Coast Center for Law & Policy (GCCLP) is a non-profit, public-interest law firm and justice center promoting structural shifts toward climate justice and ecological equity in communities of color on the frontline of climate change. GCCLP serves and builds power with communities on the frontline of climate change in the Gulf South and nationally.
About the Position - Communications Lead
GCCLP is seeking applicants for a Communications Lead to advance GCCLP’s climate justice narrative centering Black Liberation to both US and Global audiences. GCCLP’s leadership is grounded in frontline organizing and is looking for communications professionals with an organizing background. Candidates who are committed to climate justice, frontline leadership, Black Liberation and building a movement for a more just and sustainable economy are encouraged to apply.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Co-create, lead and implement the communications strategy for GCCLP.
- Develop and execute a new branding strategy, including logos, brand guidelines, printed collateral, voice, and digital and social presence.
- Support frontline formations in developing narratives and messages to advance climate justice work.
- Represent GCCLP communications narrative in regional, national, and global partnerships.
- Develop narrative, messaging, and communications material to support frontline formations, policy solutions, and organizational vision.
- Manage processes for creative content development for social and digital media, arts, culture, and other vehicles at the intersection of organizing and narrative.
- Develop, update, and publish GCCLP public communications material (websites, e-newsletters, podcasts, social media, etc).
- Manage earned media development (including press outreach and opportunities).
- Manage communications team and consultants.
- Serve as a publicist for the executive director’s media appearances.
- Create evaluation tools and messaging analysis.
This position reports directly to the Strategy Lead and supports the Executive Director and Operations Lead.
- This is a full-time, remote position.
- Some travel is required; GCCLP hosts in-person staff meetings up to four times a year (when COVID allows safe travel and social interactions) and hosts a number of convenings throughout the year.
Qualifications & Experience
Ideal candidates will possess:
- Experience working in multiple communications media: digital, print, broadcast, social, and arts and culture.
- Relationships with relevant media outlets and PR management experience.
- Experience working with and taking direction from frontline communities.
- Deep experience in organizing, facilitating, and supporting collective governance processes.
- Demonstrated ability and capacity to develop communications strategies that activate, organize, and move people into action for change.
- Demonstrated knowledge of graphic design principles and tools.
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team in collective decision-making processes.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and offer critical thinking, direction, and processes to address challenges.
- Excellent Zoom meeting and webinar production chops are a big plus.