1590 Park Avenue
About Hot Bread Kitchen:
Hot Bread Kitchen is a non-profit social enterprise that creates economic opportunity through careers in food. We achieve our mission through our two main programs: Bakers in Training, an intensive, paid on-the-job training program in bread-baking in our commercial bakery for low-income and immigrant women who face significant barriers to employment; and HBK Incubates, a culinary incubator that provides licensed commercial kitchen access and business development support for food entrepreneurs.
Hot Bread Kitchen seeks a Part-Time Human Resources Administrator to support the non-profit organization and its commercial bakery by serving as the coordinator for workplace and administrative human resources activities including, but not limited to, employee relations, recruiting and onboarding, payroll and benefits administration, maintenance of employee records, and performance management. We are seeking candidates who have an interest in and experience working with a non-profit, government, or food industry focused organization. Our ideal candidate is approachable, has a supportive and engaging demeanor, and strong communication and organizational skills. An understanding of the needs of a culturally diverse workforce is essential. This is a great opportunity for those seeking a satisfying and engaging part-time role that maintains a steady work/life balance.
· Manage onboarding:
o Partner with the Accounting Manager to orient new employees with onboarding paperwork (benefits, tax forms, timesheets, etc.)
o Review employee handbook and collect signed handbook acknowledgments.
o Check in with new employees at one week, 30, 60, and 90 days; support new employees by promptly addressing questions and concerns
· Partner with the Accounting Manager to serve as a resource for workplace and benefits related questions and issues, including, but not limited to:
o Direct deposit
o Medical, dental, and vision coverage
o PTO tracking/paystubs
o Employee perks
· Support bakery managers, directors, and supervisors with performance and disciplinary procedures and documentation
· Provide payroll and benefits administration user training, including assigning and re-setting passwords, how to clock in and out; troubleshoot as needed
· Support recruitment efforts by managing postings and applications
· Liaise with HBK’s benefits and payroll providers
· Coordinate and conduct exit interviews
· Provide support for staff meetings and special functions
· Partner/advocate with supervisors and managers; gather and communicate information on employee grievances and concerns
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- A.A./A.S. or B.A. degree, preferably in Human Resources, Business, Social Work or other related fields (or commensurate practical experience)
- Experience in Human Resources and an understanding of workplace culture and systems
- Basic understanding of employment law principles
- Basic understanding of employee benefits
- Outstanding relationship building and professional communication skills
- Exhibits compassion and warmth that encourages strong relationships
- Excellent computer skills
- Strong time management skills
- Appetite for working in a multi-cultural, fast-paced, constantly-evolving work environment
- Commitment to Hot Bread Kitchen’s mission of empowering low-income, foreign-born women and NYC food entrepreneurs
This is an hourly paid position with some flexibility in determining the schedule for around twenty hours a week. All duties will take place at Hot Bread Kitchen commercial bakery.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements and should be sent to: HR@hotbreadkitchen.org. Please include “Human Resources Administrator” - Your Name” in the subject line. Hot Bread Kitchen is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting a diverse workplace.