1126 16th St NW, Suite 400
District of Columbia
Do you want to protect fundamental freedoms around the world? The International Center for Not-for-Profit Law (ICNL) is looking for a creative and motivated lawyer to help us do just that.
In over 100 countries, ICNL promotes civic freedom, specifically the freedoms of association, expression, and assembly. Our work supports civil society, civic participation, and global philanthropy.
The Legal Associate is a full-time position based in our Washington, DC office. The Legal Associate will help manage ICNL’s research projects and help implement programs around the world. The job is dynamic, fast-paced, and best suited to someone creative, flexible, and comfortable with multi-tasking. Occasional travel may be required.
Illustrative duties include:
· Researching cutting-edge legal issues, such as the legal framework for “fake news” and disinformation, the impact of counter-terrorism measures on civic freedom, and ways that artificial intelligence will affect the future of civil society;
· Preparing country reports to help foundations engage in global philanthropy;
· Supporting the work of civil society advocates to defend the freedoms of association, expression, and assembly around the world;
· Designing trainings and initiatives to strengthen knowledge of laws affecting civil society, civic participation, and philanthropy;
· Assisting with program development; and
· Preparing analyses of draft legislation for use by government officials, parliamentarians, CSOs, and the media.
Qualifications and requirements:
· Law degree from an accredited school;
· At least two years of professional legal experience preferred;
· Excellent research, writing, and presentation skills;
· Fluency in English is required (proficiency in other languages is an advantage);
· Experience working with civil society, government or an international organization is an advantage;
· Basic knowledge of artificial intelligence systems or computer programming is an advantage; and
· Experience implementing USAID-funded programs is an advantage.
The Legal Associate must possess legal authorization to work in the US.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please send a cover letter, CV, law school transcript, and writing sample to email@example.com. The subject line should state “Legal Associate.” Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls please. ICNL is an equal opportunity employer.