Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. Among Jewish advocacy organizations, AJC is the leader in the global arena. We are known for our unparalleled access to diplomats, government officials, and faith leaders in more than 100 countries. In addition to our New York headquarters and Office of Government and International Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has offices across the United States and around the globe, and maintains partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide concerns of Jewish communities around the globe.
AJC operates simultaneously at the international, national and local levels with a physical presence in the United States, Europe, Asia, and South America. AJC Westchester/Fairfield is a White Plains-based regional office of this major global organization. The role of the regional office is to: 1) bring this major global advocacy mission to life at the local level, 2) build a leadership cadre, and 3) raise funds which support the global efforts of the organization.
AJC’s Westchester/Fairfield Office is a fast-paced, highly effective organization that demands creativity, commitment and the ability to build relationships across the Jewish community, as well as between the Jewish community and many different religions, cultures and nationalities. On an annual basis, the office carries out more than 80 educational programs, raises well over $5 million dollars, builds relationships with a wide variety of leaders from the two counties, and engages in advocacy with those leaders.
The role of the Assistant Development Director will be to support these efforts. He/She will be responsible for helping to implement a successful campaign with particular emphasis on personal solicitations, community involvement, special events, new leadership development, and public relations.
The ideal candidate will be a smart, high-energy, self-starter who combines organizational acumen and professionalism with a love of Jewish heritage, familiarity with Jewish culture, knowledge of the local Jewish community, and experience in, and dedication, to promoting pluralistic values. A strong commitment to Israel and AJC's mission and priority areas are also important. The best candidate will be an experienced development professional with planning and management skills and a proven track record of fund raising success with significant experience in special events, donor cultivation, and major gift solicitation and stewardship. However, major life experience will also be considered very highly if most other attributes are in place. The candidate must also be a consummate team player who works effectively with various constituencies. Proficient computer skills, exceptional organizational and writing skills, and strong interpersonal skills including an excellent telephone presence are a must.
- Working closely with the Regional Director, Director of Development, AJC professionals and board/volunteer leadership to provide support and organization in all development activities;
- Help develop and implement strategies to encourage new gifts, as well as increasing current donor contributions;
- Steward gifts through donor contact;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with donors, increasing their engagement and investment in AJC;
- Identify, qualify and engage prospective donors in order to expand the number of Marshall Society members;
- Conduct research on prospective sources of revenue, including major gift prospects, foundations, and dinner honorees;
- Partner with staff and lay leadership to provide organization, support, and guidance for development strategies that will deepen investment and enlarge AJC’s annual campaign;
- Coordinate fundraising dinners, special events, community receptions, donor stewardship programs, regional outreach and written appeals;
- Maintain guest lists, gather and prepare registration materials and other duties as assigned for fundraising events;
- Update prospect and donor records;
- Collaborate with program staff to engage existing and new donors;
- Enhance AJC Westchester/Fairfield communication efforts to yield greater engagement and financial support;
- Work with local media sources for publication of campaign related information; and
- Perform other tasks needed to support overall office effectiveness.
- Passion for AJC's mission;
- Some prior knowledge of, and/or experience with, issues of concern to AJC
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree highly preferred;
- 5 years or more years of relevant experience;
- Proficient in managing and interpreting development data;
- Proficient in MS Office, (especially Word and Excel);
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge preferred;
- Self-starter who is able to work independently as well as collaborate with professional and volunteer leadership;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Stellar inter-personal skills;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Experience with or interest in social media and marketing strategy are preferred.
- Ability to work under pressure while keeping a sense of humor;
- Goal-oriented, flexible, creative, and strategic thinker which can be used to develop new ways to engage potential/existing donors, as well as create new giving opportunities and programs;
- Familiarity with and passion for Jewish communal life in the local region; and
- Flexible schedule (occasional early morning, evening and weekend work required).
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your application on: https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/asst-dev-director-westchester-2018/