National Student Legal Defense Network
The National Student Legal Defense Network (NSLDN) is a new non-profit organization focusing on consumer protection in higher education and dedicated to the principle that transparency, quality, and accountability are keys to ensuring that higher education provides a launching point for economic mobility. Through litigation and advocacy, we seek to protect students from predatory lending and other abusive practices by for-profit colleges and other institutions. Our aim is to create structural change by selecting cases and causes that impact student protections across the country.
Senior Counsel Description
NSLDN seeks an attorney to serve as Senior Counsel, with a specific focus on litigation and advocacy related to predatory and abusive student lending practices.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serving as lead counsel in litigation challenging federal regulations and administrative actions by federal agencies;
- Working on all aspects of litigation, either alone or alongside co-counsel, including developing new cases, engaging in discovery, taking depositions, participating in motions practice, and overseeing the execution of trials and appeals;
- Maintaining close working relationships with NSLDN’s coalition partners;
- Contributing to state-level and local advocacy work and coordinating efforts among coalition
- partners regarding those policy efforts;
- Representing NSLDN at public events, conferences, and coalition meetings as needed; and
- Representing clients in litigation involving the Administrative Procedure Act, bankruptcy, fair
- credit reporting issues, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), and other areas of consumer law.
- The ideal candidate will have:
- A law degree and admission to a state bar, with the ability to waive into the DC Bar, if not
- already admitted;
- 8+years of complex litigation experience;
- Demonstrated ability to manage all aspects of litigation, including significant courtroom
- litigation experience;
- Strong research, analytical, and oral and written communication skills;
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently in a small,
- start-up environment; and
- A commitment to NSLDN’s mission, purpose, and values.
Additional desired qualifications:
• Knowledge of and experience with Administrative Procedure Act claims, FOIA, student
lending issues, and/or consumer protection law.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please e-mail a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible, but no later than October 1, 2018. NSLDN will review applications and make a decision on a rolling basis. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. NSLDN offers excellent benefits, including health-care, a retirement match, and transportation. Our office is located in downtown Washington, D.C.
The National Student Legal Defense Network is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability or veteran status, or other non-work-related factors.