Department: External Affairs
Reports To: Director, Strategic Communications
Brief Summary of Position:
The Senior Manager, Strategic Communications is responsible for the internal and external communication and marketing activities for KABOOM! initiatives in support of our playspace equity mission and commitment to racial equity. This role leads program promotion, partner positioning and relationship management that includes community partners, thought leaders, corporate funders, philanthropic partners and city agencies.
The Senior Manager manages specific communications activities such as creating overall communications plans, managing media opportunities; supporting internal communications; securing speaking opportunities for leadership at events and conferences; etc. The Senior Manager is also responsible for ensuring the integrity of and helping to maintain all external KABOOM! communications assets, maintaining and supporting brand strategy, and assisting in the development of marketing collateral.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute communications plans and strategies to support the overall KABOOM! mission and vision.
- Provide strategic guidance and content to support programs and outreach plans for new partner leads.
- Lead the creation of content for internal and external needs, including press releases, one-pagers, talking points, quotes, blogs, newsletters, annual reports, conferences, videos, special events, campaigns, etc.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage priorities while maintaining strong relationships with internal, cross-functional team members.
- Manage external vendors and consultants, and act as project manager – creating timelines and action plans to drive key projects to completion.
- Build and maintain relationships with media and other relevant external promotion partners, seeking opportunities to highlight our work.
- Provide counsel on social media strategies for communications plans that drive national and local engagement.
- Provide media guidance and support for high-profile KABOOM!-led projects.
- Actively contribute to our inclusive work environment by valuing other people regardless of differences and take an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, equity, and cultural competence.
- Bachelors’ degree in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing or related field.
- At least seven years of marketing and communications experience.
- Outstanding written communication skills including experience preparing press releases, news articles, presentations, video scripts, reports and promotional content.
- Philanthropic experience is strongly desired.
- Experience with managing external vendors, agencies or consultants.
- Demonstrated success pitching and working with members of the media.
- Ability to work effectively in informal and formal teams with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Outstanding verbal communication skills including experience giving presentations and working with the media at events and conducting interviews.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Possess the skills necessary to prioritize, multi-task and thrive in a culture of rapid change (learn quickly from multiple sources; possess well-developed analytical, planning, organization, and problem solving skills).
- Working knowledge of online media tracking tools, such as Cision.
KABOOM! is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that is dedicated to giving all kids – regardless of color or zip code – the childhood they deserve through great, safe places to play. We prioritize diversity, equity and inclusion as an integral part of our culture. We strongly encourage people of color (including bilingual and bicultural), all genders and gender identities, people of all abilities, LGBTQ individuals, veterans and national service alumni to apply.