55 M ST SE
The Accounting Supervisor is a newly created and vitally important position at Great Minds, an LLC established under a rapidly growing non-profit organization whose mission is to ensure that all students have access to a quality education in the full range of the liberal arts and sciences.
The Accounting Supervisor, a position that reports to the Controller, will utilize their prior hands-on accounting experience and have an in-depth understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and company practices. The Accounting Supervisor will perform complex accounting activities and be responsible for the liabilities reporting for month end and year end close.
- Supervision of Payroll and Accounts Payable Staff
- Oversee PR processing and year end W2 issuance
- Oversee/manage payroll taxes, filings, and new business registrations
- Interface with Human Resources to manage new processes, PR changes, charge code structure and set up, GL and W2 mapping
- Oversee Accounts Payable
- Manage processes, recons and postings for Credit Cards, Tallie, and Disbursements
- Coordinate Sales and Use tax as lead with Avalara
- Responsible for GL reconciliations related to the Liability Accounts
- Manage special projects related to consignment inventory and commissions (TN Book/ERC)
- Drive month end close and manage timeliness and accuracy
- Assisting with financial and tax audits
- Prepare Annual Audit Preparation and be co-lead contact for the auditors
- Prepare/Review journal entries to ensure accuracy
- Training and mentoring junior staff
- Documenting and monitoring internal controls in support of accounting team
- Coordinating more complex accounting projects and initiatives with other members of the accounting and finance team or with other departments
- Utilizes computerized Microsoft software programs (Excel, Outlook, and Word) to perform duties and responsibilities
Qualification and Requirements:
- 5-7 years of experience in G/L entries, reconciliations, accounts payable, payroll, P/L reviews, and tax filings.
- 4-year degree majoring in accounting.
- Basic knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Current work experience with financial and accounting systems (Quickbooks, NetSuite, Intacct or similar applications).
- Strong attention to detail, proficient at establishing priorities and meeting deadlines
- Capability to work in fast-paced environment, with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Ability to work in a positive and cooperative manner with fellow team members.
- Professional, punctual, dependable, reliable, with a desire to learn.
- Full-time, Exempt
- Based in Washington DC near the Navy Yard Metro.
- Salary based on experience
- Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. If selected for an interview, a salary history and background check will be required.
Minimum Education Required