7404 Commerce Way
Paws for Purple Hearts, a 501(c)(3) organization, is dedicated to improving the lives of America’s Warriors facing mobility challenges and trauma-related conditions such as PTSD, TBI & MST by providing the highest quality service dogs and canine-assisted therapeutic programs. We are seeking a Kennel Assistant to further our site’s growth.
This position will be classified as an independent contractor and is not eligible for PPH employee benefits. It is a part-time position and will report directly to the assigned supervisor.
This position is responsible for providing quality care of the dogs and puppies housed at the Paws for Purple Hearts facility in Ruther Glen, VA as well as custodial tasks.
Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Clean and disinfect kennels, crates, equipment, exercise runs, training areas and grounds and other facility areas as needed using approved cleaning tools and methods
- Report maintenance problems or repairs to the supervisor
- Perform custodial tasks within facility as needed
- Appropriate feeding including, but not limited to preparation and dispensing of food to kennel dogs and puppies, including special diet feedings
- Knowledge of specific diet needs and the preparation of special diets
- Awareness of signs that indicate a change of diet may be required
- Provide quality care and a safe environment to kenneled dogs and puppies including, but not limited to:
- Reporting a dog or puppy in distress
- Medicating by administering oral medications under direction of supervisor
- Grooming, including bathing
- Record keeping of dogs in kennels
- Exercise and socialize dogs and puppies
- Follow PPH training and handling methods and procedures; provide PPH approved behavioral corrections as needed
- Monitor and inventory kennel supplies and replenish as needed
- Report needed supplies to supervisor
- Possible interaction with volunteers and/or public with effective communication
- Close facility and kennels at the end of shift
- Prior dog handling, training and dog health care experience preferred.
- Ability to perform several tasks concurrently, time management and good organizational and communication skills.
- Self-starter able to complete tasks independently with minimal direct oversight.
- Reliable and responsible.
- Familiarity with dog training and behavior, animal health and disability awareness and sensitivity.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs.
- Ability to work standing or walking on cement for up to two hours at a time.
- Ability to withstand up to two hours of repetitive bending, stooping, kneeling, and squatting.
- Ability to restrain active dogs weighing up to 90 lbs.
- Ability to work weekday and weekend shifts.
- Ability to complete necessary paperwork and meet deadlines.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
None available for this position as individual will be an independent contractor.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required