District of Columbia
Media Matters for America — a progressive, Washington, D.C.-based, nonprofit research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media — seeks a Social Media Associate to help us advance our mission by engaging with and growing our social media communities.
The Social Media Associate is a member of the Digital team in the Research and Engagement Department. Hours will be non-standard; flexibility in scheduling and willingness to work evenings and/or weekends is desired.
- The Social Media Associate reports to the Deputy Director, Social Media and Engagement, while also working closely with the department head, the News Director.
- Twitter: Assist the News Director in managing Media Matters’ Twitter account in accordance with and to advance Media Matters’ overall social media strategy. Particular attention will be on identifying and analyzing emerging narratives regarding misinformation in the media, either in regard to right-wing media or mainstream media.
- Social Media: Assist the Deputy Director, Social Media and Engagement, in managing Media Matters’ other social media communities including Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, and YouTube in accordance with and to advance Media Matters’ overall social media strategy.
- Homepage Maintenance: Help maintain Media Matters’ homepage.
- Digital Products: Assist in the production and maintenance of digital products, on an as-needed basis. This could include email writing and deployment, comment moderation, supporter engagement, website maintenance, paid advertising execution, video production, or other projects.
- Analysis: Help compile reports on social media performance, analyze the data for takeaways and trends, and contribute feedback and ideas for future content.
- Must be very familiar with Twitter and other social media platforms, and how to use these tools to shape the public debate.
- Must have a strong interest in media and understanding of the effects conservative misinformation has on our public debate.
- Must have a strong understanding of Media Matters work.
- Interest in monitoring and identifying emerging social media and communication trends.
- Strong analytical skills and high attention to detail.
- Ability to work as part of a team, but can work independently day-to-day.
- Can plan and manage under a tight deadline.
- Ability to multitask and adjust in fast-paced and high-pressure situations.
Media Matters for America offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit https://www.mediamatters.org/jobs to apply through our online portal. No phone calls, please. We can respond only to candidates whom we are contacting for an interview.
Media Matters for America is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or disability.