Details: Depending on experience
2000 Franklin Street
Communications and Grants Manager
The Communications and Grants Manager is responsible for overseeing and coordinating Urban Habitat’s overall communications strategy. Program communications support includes traditional, digital, and social media strategies, as well as media relations, to further our policy and organizing campaigns. Fund development work will include writing grant proposals and reports as well as drafting donor letters. Excellent writing skills are essential as this position will play a major role in communicating to external audiences about our work.
Summary of Duties/Responsibilities
- Manage strategic communications with Urban Habitat’s stakeholders, including funders, media, and donors, about our work.
- Develop and implement a communications calendar, projecting timelines for regular communications as well as protocol for communications.
- Coordinate Urban Habitat’s media plan, including: monitoring the news, submitting letters to the editor and opinion pieces, developing relationship with reporters, assistance with developing campaign and advocacy framing and messaging, pitching news stories, and maintaining database of press contacts.
- Cultivate and engage our online community on social media.
- Manage the use of different communication channels such as email alerts, website, and social media by staff.
- Manage and update Salesforce database. Recommend changes and upgrades, assist with troubleshooting and work with vendors and consultants as needed.
- Manage, edit, and update website content. Recommend changes and upgrades, assist with troubleshooting and work with vendors and consultants as needed. Work with program team to keep it up-to-date and relevant.
- Develop informational material based on original or secondary research, such as policy or issue briefs, to educate Urban Habitat stakeholders.
- Coordinate and write grant proposals and progress reports.
- Develop donor communications and solicitations.
- Manage and track donations.
- Maintain high quality standards (including clarity, accuracy, design and message) for printed materials, publications, web content and other external communications.
- Track and analyze usage of website and e-tools and provide recommendations to increase the effectiveness of Urban Habitat’s communications.
- Report to Executive Director on a regular basis through scheduled supervision meetings and participate in staff meetings.
- Coordinate special projects, assignments, and activities, and other duties as assigned.
Summary of Qualifications
Education and training: Bachelor’s degree required. Masters or advanced degree in public health, public policy, or communications preferred.
Work Experience: At least two years of experience working with nonprofit organizations in communication-related position, including research, outreach, communications, or media relations.
Specific Skills/Subject Knowledge
- Documented skill and successful experience writing and editing publications, newsletters, and related communication materials for a wide range of audiences.
- Demonstrated comprehensive knowledge of, or the ability to learn, Urban Habitat’s mission, organization, operations, programs, policies and relevant public policy issues.
- Able to write in different styles for diverse audiences such as community leaders, policymakers, funders, and donors.
- Advanced verbal and written skills to articulate ideas and issues concisely and persuasively, using appropriate editorial style and English grammar.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work effectively and professionally with diverse constituencies inside and outside the organization.
- Computer literacy and proficiency with various software, electronic email applications, and the Internet. Knowledge of Saleforce a plus.
- Experience with utilizing and developing content for social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and creatively in analyzing complex situations and produce clear communications to address them.
- Strong attention to detail and technical accuracy.
- Proven organizational ability to prioritize multiple assignments and meet conflicting deadlines within a dynamic environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter, resume, and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Communications and Grants Manager” in the subject line of your email.