IFF improves the world by strengthening nonprofits and the communities they serve. As a mission-driven lender, real estate consultant, and developer, IFF helps communities thrive by creating opportunities for low-income communities and persons with disabilities. Key to our success has been a deep sense of purpose, a broad perspective, and a relentless focus on achieving positive results. Across the Midwest, we help clients from every sector, including human service agencies, health centers, schools, affordable housing developers, and grocery stores. Staff contributes its extensive business experience with an unrivaled connection to the mission of IFF and the nonprofit clients it serves.
The Foundation for Homan Square is a non-profit organization formed in 1995 to oversee the Homan Square redevelopment plan. The Foundation serves as an umbrella organization managing initiatives and properties on the Homan Campus, including the Homan Square Community Center, The Charles H. Shaw Technology and Learning Center, and the Nichols Tower. IFF manages the Foundation for Homan Square.
IFF is looking for candidates with a commitment to the work it does and can demonstrate their creativity, detail-orientation, diligence, efficiency, enthusiasm, flexibility, organization, thoughtfulness, and sense of humor.
Our staff of nearly 100 professionals works from our Chicago headquarters, and we also serve the Midwest from six regional offices: Indianapolis, IN; Detroit, MI; Kansas City, MO; St. Louis, MO; Columbus, OH; and Milwaukee, WI.
Basic Job Function
The Property Manager (PM) position supports and assists in the management of commercial real estate in accordance with the Management Agreement and operating procedures. The PM is involved in all aspects of day-to-day operations of the property, including accounting, tenant relations, maintenance and repair, security, janitorial services, landscaping, snow removal, etc. The PM handles tenant complaints and service requests, and must be familiar with the terms of tenant leases. The PM assists in the preparation of the annual budget, reporting and financial performance of the property.
The PM is accountable for all property operations for the commercial properties that are part of Homan Square (community center, tower, and school). The PM manages all persons, activities, and available resources to accomplish property objectives, such as rent collection, facility upkeep and repairs, and any compliance. The PM oversees portions of the asset management portfolio; assists with all aspects of property and asset management in Homan Square; manages janitorial and maintenance staff; coordinates compliance and reporting schedules; compiles and maintains an annual budget, assists with strategy for meeting goals; and works with other departments.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manage commercial properties in the Homan Square community.
- Enforce leases and rent payments.
- Provide excellent tenant service. Respond to tenant requests/problems in a timely and courteous manner, and generate work orders directed to vendors or maintenance staff. Follow-up with the tenant to ensure satisfactory resolution of the issue. Ensure that there is 24-hour emergency coverage for the property at all times.
- Conduct regular inspections of the property and tenant spaces to ensure compliance with leases and the proper upkeep of the property.
- Plan and manage services such as reception, security, cleaning, waste disposal, event space rental, and parking.
- Prepare and maintain appropriate up-to-date tenant lease files, records, correspondence and file notes.
- Assist with tenant occupancy including providing the new tenant with an introduction letter regarding emergency contacts, insurance requirements, rent collection procedures, and maintenance request procedures.
- Monitor all key dates and reporting.
- Establish and maintain the Property Management Plan.
2. Coordinate the administrative requirements.
- Prepare memos, emails, and maintain files; prepare expense reports and other administrative forms, copying, and arrange for courier service and overnight deliveries.
- Maintain office clerical, filing and record keeping systems.
- Coordinate production and ordering of signs, tenant identification, etc.
- Aid in the production of departmental reports (e.g. business plans, financial statements, RFPs).
- Maintain adequate inventory of all office supplies and contact all vendors when maintenance is required on general office equipment.
- Coordinate regular inventories of all business property.
- Coordinate tenant moves.
- Sort, code and ensure accuracy and compliance with contracts of all property related invoices.
- Coordinate and schedule appointments, on-site and off-site meetings and calls.
- Collect and organize all property information in a format for quick reference.
- Detailed verification of all invoice amounts and information with approved Service Orders or Contracts.
- Ensure proper coding on invoices and prepare them for payment.
- Investigate cost reduction opportunities.
- Assist Finance department with questions related to the property and resolution of vendor issues.
- Assess risk management needs.
3. In coordination with other staff, direct the financial objectives of the properties.
- Formulate annual budgets for each property.
- Monitor revenue and expenses throughout the year; track them to budget; analyze differences and issues.
- Work with Finance staff to report progress regularly.
- Prepare reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends; generate and present to management staff regular reports and reviews of budgets, finances, and related items; initiate corrective action.
4. Manage on-site staff.
- Hire, train, and supervise all janitorial and maintenance personnel.
- Create and monitor schedules; make sure there is appropriate staff available.
- Conduct annual evaluations and ongoing professional development.
5. Establish and implement a property maintenance program.
- Monitor all maintenance activities.
- Physically walk the properties on a quarterly basis and document any issues.
- Coordinate maintenance personnel to handle service requests promptly; ensure appropriate staff responds to requests.
- Create and follow Preventative Maintenance Policies and Procedures and Property Operations Manual.
- Manage contractor and vendor relationships.
6. Maintain required job knowledge and skills and core professional competencies. Attend and participate in required educational programs and staff meetings.
7. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Properties functioning efficiently and fiscally sound.
2. Properties have appropriate insurance coverage, utilities, and other items addressed.
3. Property management strategy, processes, protocols, and plan established.
4. Documentation complete and well organized.
5. Maintenance and janitorial staff and third party vendors identified and hired as needed.
6. Professional development plan in place and utilized.
7. Cultivates a culture of openness in information sharing. Encourages open communication, cooperation, and the sharing of knowledge.
8. Models personal accountability that promotes ownership and engagement.
9. Builds and maintains effective working relationships with colleagues, peers and team members.
10. Values and supports differences in others, contributing to an inclusive work environment. Demonstrates the ability and willingness to communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to create a collaborative, collegial, and caring community.
11. High level of satisfaction with both internal colleagues and external contacts.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required; preferably in business, accounting, finance, or community development. Strong experience in property management may substitute. Illinois Real Estate Broker’s license preferred.
Previous Experience: Property management experience, facilities management knowledge, understanding of real estate, property, and asset management terms and pro formas, understanding of leases; experience with compliance and reporting to government and other entities; fiscal and physical building knowledge.
Special Knowledge & Skills: Extremely detailed organizational skills; the ability to multi-task on a number of different projects and tasks; adaptability to changing priorities and needs.
Excellent verbal and written skills.
Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word.
Proven desire to work for a mission-based organization.
Unusual Requirements: Occasional evening and weekend work. This position is on 24 hour call and is responsible for appropriately responding to any emergencies regarding property, staff, etc. Regular travel to corporate office is expected.
Application Instructions: Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements. Please include “Property Manager” in the subject line of the email.
IFF values equity, diversity and inclusion as part of its mission to strengthen nonprofits and the communities they serve. IFF is an equal opportunity employer.
Come to work every day knowing you are making our world a better place. We seek resourceful, passionate, and community-minded individuals who want to combine business skills with social impact and contribute to our mission with some of the best in the field. IFF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
IFF also offers a great benefits package including:
- Medical plans (PPO, HMO, and HSA options)
- Dental plans (PPO)
- Vision discount program
- Pretax medical, transportation, and dependable care flexible spending accounts
- Generous vacation and sick time
- 401K plan with 5% employer contribution after one year of employment
- Employer-paid life and AD&D coverage
- Employer-paid short-term and long-term disability coverage
Other perks include:
- Professional development
- Flexible work schedule policy
- Summer Fridays policy
If you are looking for a rewarding and challenging career, join us.
Minimum Education Required