98 Carroll Street
Are you passionate about providing opportunities for individuals to rebuild their lives? The Rescue Mission of Trenton is looking to expand our team of committed staff members dedicated to providing an environment where one can live with dignity and experience hope.
For over 100 years, the Rescue Mission of Trenton has been the agency in the City of Trenton dedicated to providing food, shelter, and clothing to the needy men and women of Trenton. The Mission operates an emergency homeless shelter, a range of substance abuse treatment programs, and a variety of permanent supportive housing options.
The Mission is seeking a Vocational Development Counselor to work under the supervision of the Director of Behavioral Health Operations, providing vocational assessment and preparedness to residents of the Mission’s substance abuse treatment program. The client population is male adults, many facing multiple barriers to employment, including limited work history, education, economic poverty, and behavioral health disorders.
The primary responsibilities of the Vocational Development Counselor are as followed:
· Assesses client vocational and educational ability and interests, identifying skill areas for
· Participates as a member of the Mission’s multidisciplinary treatment team, communicating
instructional difficulties and needs
· Conducts training and discussion groups with residents of the Mission’s substance abuse
· Tutors Life Skills Program participants as needed
- Assists residents in all phases in developing a successful employment plan in conjunction with the established treatment plans, including job search, budgeting, transportation, and work schedule
- Provides employment case management services and coaching to clients
· Processes clients for identification in coordination with the clinical treatment team
· Opens and supervises Life Skills Program for participant study periods and documents
participant’s study time and areas of study
· Coordinates and acts as a liaison for education and training services activities, including
coordination of volunteer-led groups for client enrichment and development
· Develops relationships with potential partner employers
- Updates agency records and case files as required by education/vocational and job search data
The ideal candidate for this position is organized, a team player, can manage multiple priorities, has experience working with the Mission’s client population and has a sincere desire to assist individuals to rebuild their lives. Candidates should possess a strong work ethic, the ability to recognize challenges and seek solutions, and the ability to work as an independent contributor to a team.
Must be available between the hours of 8 AM and 4 PM Monday – Friday. Position may include possible evening hours to accommodate client activity schedule
Qualifications For Position
Experience: Preferred minimum three (3) years experience in vocational development via treatment, counseling, and/or educational training fields
Skills and Abilities: Active learning and listening, critical thinking, written comprehension and expression, Knowledge of interviewing methods and techniques, case management principles and methods, professional ethics standards; ability to work with varied level of educational and vocational experience and ability; Attention to detail is required
Machine, Tools and Equipment: Computer, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook), Electronic Health Record system
Other Requirements: Valid driver’s license
Competitive benefits and PTO package
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficient in English. Spanish a plus
Minimum Education Required