41 West Street
Samaritans, Inc. is the premier suicide prevention organization in the communities of Suffolk, Norfolk, Middlesex and Worcester counties, providing lifesaving services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Samaritans’ purpose is to alleviate despair, isolation, distress and suicidal feelings among individuals in our community; to educate the public about suicide prevention; and to reduce the stigma associated with suicide. For over 40 years, Samaritans volunteers – selected, trained and supported by a dedicated professional staff – have provided compassionate and non-judgmental support free of charge for callers to its Helplines.
Samaritans’ volunteers and staff now provide a full range of suicide prevention, intervention, and postvention services through community education and outreach; phone and text based crisis service Helplines for those in distress; and grief support groups and personal visits which assist families impacted by a suicide loss in their grieving and healing process. This growing organization provides services that make our communities healthier and happier and provides a working environment that celebrates the positive and lifesaving work that occurs here each and every day.
The Volunteer Coordinator’s role is to support adult and teen volunteers to insure 24/7 coverage of our helpline in order for the agency to fulfill of its mission of serving the isolated, despairing and suicidal through compassionate and non-judgmental listening. Part time and Full time positions available
· Coordinates volunteer schedules, ensuring volunteers meet their agreed to time commitments, conduct additional role plays with volunteers when needed and support the training.
· Monitors the ongoing quality and consistency of the befriending services provided by the volunteers in conjunction with the Training Team, including addressing concerns/problems with volunteers.
· Supports the volunteers from the PULSE program (Boston College Service Learning Program) and other college / internship programs including their recruitment and evaluations as assigned by the supervisor. .
· Responsible for the Crisis Services room including its cleanliness and availability of necessary materials for volunteers in order to properly befriend, document calls, and texts and make referrals
· Maintains all relevant data and statistics on the 24/7 helpline and Teen Line for both calls and text in order to track the effectiveness and impact of the service, to provide input into board reports and funding requests
· Maintains current and accurate volunteer records and files through Raiser Edge
· Conducts Quality Assurance assessments as assigned by the Training and Quality Assurance Manager
· In collaboration with other staff, organize volunteer recognition events and activities including Annual Volunteer Appreciation Event, Holiday Party, milestone recognition and others as determined by the Supervisor
· Works with the other Volunteer Coordinators as appropriate to support the successful ongoing recruitment of prospective volunteers – including reviewing publicity materials, attendance at fairs/events, participating in recruitment events and facilitating group information sessions.
· Collaborates with the Crisis Services Team on the process of orienting, interviewing, accepting/rejecting befriender applicants
· On-Call Rotation
· Other responsibilities as assigned
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
· Some travel may be required for industry related conferences as well as visits to other agencies, board members and donors as necessary.
· Flexibility in meeting demands and remaining positive during interactions is essential.
· Flexibility in working hours appropriate for responsibility for 24/7-hour services required. (includes weekends)
· Successfully completes the befriending training.
· Ability to interact effectively with others.
· Resolving conflicts and internal issues appropriately, including providing difficult feedback to volunteers.
· Functions well as a member of a team.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· BA or BS required
· Minimum of 2 years of professional experience in a social services agency
· Previous work as a volunteer or working with volunteers preferred
Minimum Education Required