29-76 Northern Blvd.
Long Island City
Title: Peer Community Health Worker
Unit: Drop-In Center
Reports to: Director
Status: Full Time, Regular, Non-Exempt
Job Code: TBD
Location: Based in Harlem, with travel throughout New York City
Date Prepared: April 18, 2018
Responsible for escorting clients to various appointments and assisting in picking up newly released clients from Rikers Island and other DOC facilities as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Conduct client escort as needed by public transportation to various client appointments;
· Assist Transitional Specialist with escorting clients via agency van;
· Accompany Transitional Specialist with picking up newly released clients from Rikers Island and other DOC facilities;
· Assist with follow-up on client referrals to insure connection to necessary services;
· Advocate for external client services;
· Conduct client follow up via telephone, outreach home visits and letters;
· Enter progress notes in Harmony (now CLIMB), Fortune Society’s proprietary client database; and
· Additional responsibilities as needed.
· Ability to obtain correctional facility clearance and work within the constraints of facility guidelines which can include lock downs, screening of personal items including food and clothing restrictions, which can be changed at the discretion of the Department of Corrections;
· High school diploma or GED/HSE preferred;
· Experience working as a peer escort a plus but not required;
· Ability to travel throughout the 5 boroughs to escort clients to appointments;
· Computer data entry skills;
· Training in the HIV/AIDS field a plus;
· Good communication skills, bi-lingual English/Spanish preferred;
· Ability to work under strict confidentiality and openness to guidance and supervision; and
· We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
Ability to travel throughout the 5 boroughs by public transportation and via van.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply online: