Quanta Magazine is seeking a first-rate reporter to identify and cover newsworthy developments in the physical sciences. This reporter will be responsible for writing about everything from subatomic particles to superconductors to the large-scale structure of the universe. The ideal candidate will have a tireless appetite for exploring the rules and phenomena that govern the cosmos, the ability to identify emerging research of significance and a love of asking brilliant researchers probing questions no matter how dumb some may sound. We are looking for nothing less than an accomplished science journalist, a superb writer with impeccable news judgment and a diehard advocate for the highest standards in journalism and scientific accuracy.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
- Pitch, report and write news articles, features, interviews and explainers about physics, broadly construed.
- Develop a stable of expert sources to help stay informed about the most important and interesting scientific research happening today.
- Collaborate with editors throughout the editorial and fact-checking process and partner with the design team in the development of artwork, graphics, videos and other associated features.
- Occasionally write about other topics as needed.
- Attend and report from scientific meetings and conferences.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- At least two years of experience as a journalist covering the physical sciences or related fields, preferably for a major publication.
- Familiarity with physics concepts and research and a demonstrated knowledge of current developments.
- Must be comfortable writing news and feature articles under web deadlines and be fluent in the best print editing standards and online conventions.
- Must be detail-oriented, organized and an excellent communicator demonstrating command of the highest standards of written English.
- Must be an excellent communicator and team player who thrives in a collaborative setting.
- Must be eager to grow as both a reporter and a writer.
- Basic familiarity with web metrics and SEO is a plus.
ABOUT QUANTAQuanta Magazine
- Cover letter describing your interest in the position
- At least five published work samples and a link to a portfolio if available
is an award-winning, editorially independent online publication launched by theSimons Foundationto enhance public understanding of science. Our reporters and editors focus on developments in mathematics, theoretical physics, theoretical computer science and the basic life sciences, with an emphasis on delivering timely, accurate, in-depth and well-crafted articles for our broad, discerning audience. Among other awards and accolades for its science journalism, Quanta
was awarded a 2020 National Magazine Award for general excellence. Quanta
has syndication partnerships with Wired
, The Atlantic
, Scientific American
, The Washington Post
and other publications, has published two books (Alice and Bob Meet the Wall of Fire
and The Prime Number Conspiracy
) and our articles have been translated into several languages.The Simons Foundation's Diversity Commitment
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Simons Foundation actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/z18184fzERZpS4apIR4Ba" />