904 West 2nd Street
Be Part of a Pivotal Moment in History
The American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas’ (ACLU’s) next Development Associate is a nonprofit development professional who is looking for a meaningful opportunity in a proven and vibrant organization. Our mission is timely, we are committed to protecting civil rights and liberties, and we are poised to succeed with a robust, growing community of individual donors.
Founded in 1969, the ACLU of Arkansas is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization which uses legal action, lobbying and education to protect and promote a broad range of civil rights and civil liberties. (Learn more about our work by visiting www.acluarkansas.org and www.aclu.org.)
At the ACLU of Arkansas, we are fighting the hard fight for people whose civil rights are challenged or denied. And -- with the Trump administration’s never-before-imagined threats to civil rights and liberties -- now is the ideal time to join us!
Partnering with the Executive Director, our Development Associate will plan and execute a philanthropy program with a strong emphasis on major gifts ($5,000+). The program will build off of a donor base that tripled after the 2016 elections.
The position is based in Little Rock, the state’s capital; with a recently revitalized downtown area, this river city boasts layers of compelling history mixed with lively culture and contemporary style.
Our Next Development Associate Will:
Strengthen the ACLU’s Major Gifts Program by
- creating annual and long-range development plans;
- maintaining a vibrant personal major gifts ($5,000+) portfolio and managing the Executive Director’s portfolio;
- maintaining donor database integrity and preparing Development Program written materials; and
- working with the national ACLU’s Gift Planning team.
Build the ACLU’s Foundation Grant Support by
- developing and implementing effective grant strategies; and
- preparing targeted, timely grant applications and post-award grant documentation (including reports).
Provide High-Level Value to Our Organization and Its Goals by
- serving as a respected and significant ACLU team member, both internally and externally;
- working with board members regarding their specific roles in fundraising;
- ensuring (Salesforce) donor database accuracy and hygiene; and
- coordinating our development work with the national ACLU office.
Our Next Development Associate Will Bring:
- a bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- at least 2 years of demonstrated experience in fund development;
- (preferred) experience in major gifts fundraising with $5,000+ donors and prospects;
- excitement about the opportunity to imagine, effect, and manage growth in our affiliate;
- a varied “toolbox” of advanced skills, including: leadership; interpersonal relations; strategic thinking; persuasiveness; problem-solving; communication; thoroughness; the ability to prioritize, take initiative and maintain grace under pressure; computer expertise; familiarity with fundraising databases; etc.; and
- a firm devotion to diversity and a personal approach that values individuals and their differences.
Finally, our next Development Associate will bring a dedication to the mission and goals of the ACLU … along with a personal commitment to a professional team that will bring us into our next 50 years as Arkansas’ guardian of liberty.
This job announcement provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU of Arkansas reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU of Arkansas is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
The ACLU of Arkansas undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
The ACLU of Arkansas is comprised of two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas and the American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas Foundation. Both are organizations with the same overall mission; they share office space and employees. The American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job announcement refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”
The ACLU welcomes talented professionals to our team and in return offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package. Included are generous vacation and sick leave; employer-paid health and dental insurance; life insurance and long-term disability; defined 401(k) contribution with employer match; and paid holidays. This position is full-time, salaried, and exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
We will accept applications until the position is filled. We hope that one of those applications is yours.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Are You Ready to Help Lead Us into the Future?
If you’re excited about devoting your talents and skills to the ACLU, please submit your resume and a letter of interest to: email@example.com. Please include your last name and “Development Associate” in the subject line. (To ensure that we receive your application, please do not use any other ACLU email address.) No phone calls, please.