Operating Olana State Historic Site in a cooperative agreement with the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP), The Olana Partnership (TOP) has expanded its operations significantly over the past two years and is embarked on an ambitious capital development plan. With 15 full-time employees and an annual operating budget of $2 million, TOP seeks to accelerate growth by recruiting a mission-focused, experienced executive to serve as Senior Director of Finance, Human Resources, and Business Operations. Reporting to the President and coordinating closely with the Senior Vice President, the Senior Director will work in a collaborative team environment with the Director of Finance and Human Resources (DFHR), other senior staff, and colleagues at OPRHP to meet TOP’s strategic goals and expand organizational capacity. It is critical that the Senior Director have the team building skills and personal confidence to coach and shape the strengths of a diverse, talented staff and is able to adroitly manage complexity in the context of one of the nation’s most effective public-private partnerships.
The Senior Director oversees Finance, Human Resources, and Business Operations, including budget planning, development, implementation, analysis, transaction reconciliation and reporting; identifying and addressing fiscal opportunities, challenges, and risks. A member of the executive leadership team, the Senior Director advises on resource allocation and financial planning. Exercising initiative and independent oversight, the Senior Director partners with TOP’s Finance and Audit committees to facilitate the allocation of resources to advance TOP’s mission. The Senior Director provides the strategic vision for the human resources function across the organization and is responsible for TOP’s employee growth strategy, providing guidance around building a strong organizational infrastructure to support our continued growth. Regular weekend days on site will be essential to understanding and monitoring the core of TOP’s business operations.
The primary responsibilities of the Senior Director are:
· Lead development of annual operating and capital budgets with executive team, DFHR, and senior staff to support TOP’s tactical and strategic initiatives;
· Provide leadership and ensure monitoring and review of operating and capital budgets, endowments, and investments and completion of monthly report to President and quarterly reports to Finance Committee;
· Supervise DFHR to ensure accurate and efficient processes for payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable, account reconciliation, preparation of financial reports for grant applications and reports, and maintenance of financial records, including all contractual agreements between TOP and outside parties and organizations;
· Direct DFHR in maintaining internal control systems to assure integrity of financial transactions to prevent errors, omissions and possible fraudulent activity;
· Oversee development and security of financial management systems and technology;
· Serve as primary liaison with outside auditor and TOP’s Audit Committee in the preparation and completion of annual audited financial statements and all necessary federal and state filings.
· Build an employment environment in full compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation; enforcing adherence requirements; advising the President and Board; on needed actions, and overseeing TOP’s Personnel Policies Manual;
· Oversee staff recruiting, retention, performance review and disciplinary processes to ensure a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work place;
· Supervise DFHR in managing employee health and retirement benefits;
· Diagnose opportunities for learning and development programs; develop and facilitate organization-specific training sessions; assess training effectiveness through evaluations;
· Partner with management to resolve employee relation issues; provide coaching and counseling to management and staff; collaborate with legal counsel on issues as appropriate;
· Support President and Board Chair in DEI training and other skill building for Board.
· Direct senior staff in monitoring and reporting on progress toward achieving the goals of TOP’s five-year strategic plan and annual work plan;
· Support Senior Vice President in managing day-to-day and seasonal operations in coordination with New York State Parks Director;
· Supervise and evaluate performance of DFHR, Director of Visitor Operations & Engagement (DVOE), and Museum Shop Manager (MSM);
· Direct DVOE in planning and implementing staffing and revenue generating operations;
· Direct MSM in planning and implementing product development, inventory management, and revenue projection processes, including development of licensing opportunities with NYS Parks;
· Direct DFHR in maintenance of all insurance policies and riders;
· Support and advise Board, President, and Senior VP in development and monitoring of cooperative agreement with NYS Parks with focus on ensuring sustainable revenue and expense modeling.
· B.A. degree; advanced degrees in business, organizational management, accounting, or economics preferred;
· Minimum of 5 years experience in non-profit or for-profit management and/or finance/HR, with a comprehensive understanding of financial processes and national standards in human resources and a track record of excellence in organizational and financial management, supervising staff, and creative problem solving;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively in one-on-one and group settings;
· Belief in the necessity of creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work place and evidence of pursuing these goals;
· An eye for innovation and an adaptable and nimble approach;
· Possesses high ethical standards. Respects the confidentiality of information or concerns shared by others. Interprets and understands University policies and applicable laws and regulations to ensure personal and unit compliance;
· Demonstrates strong leadership skills that can influence and motivate individuals and groups to achieve results.;
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with wide variety of constituents;
About The Olana Partnership
The Olana Partnership (TOP) operates Olana State Historic Site (Olana) in a cooperative agreement with the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation (OPRHP). TOP is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization educational corporation chartered by the Board of Regents of the State of New York with an annual operating budget of $2 million and 15 full-time employees. Through four decades, TOP has harnessed the passion and philanthropic support of thousands of supporters to restore Olana’s treasures of art, architecture, and landscape. TOP’s mission to inspire the public by preserving and interpreting Olana extends to the stewardship of Olana’s nationally-significant integral viewshed. TOP’s vision is of a fully-restored Olana, vibrant with the activity of artists, scholars, students, and visitors, that will be the most widely-recognized artist’s home and studio in the world.
About Olana State Historic Site
A National Historic Landmark, Olana is the master work of America’s preeminent landscape artist, Frederic Edwin Church (1826-1900). He achieved international fame with paintings such as Niagara (1857) and The Heart of the Andes (1859) and created Olana over 40 years, beginning in 1860. Church designed every aspect of Olana, the eclectic fantasy of the main house, the bucolic assemblage of the farm complex, and the 250-acre landscape that provide a romantic, picturesque setting for the whole and engages sweeping 360-degree views. In 2019 there were over 170,000 visitors to the landscape and 33,000 ticketed visitors.
Please send resume and cover letter to SDSearch@olana.org Salary range: $65,000-$75,000, commensurate with experience. TOP offers a competitive benefits package. Review of applications will begin on March 1.
Operating Olana State Historic Site in a cooperative agreement with the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP), The Olana Partnership (TOP) has expanded its operations significantly over the past two years and is…
Competitive benefits package and 401k.
Competitive benefits package and 401k.