EnrichLA is a community wellness non-profit organization that brings edible school gardens to local public schools, focusing on low-income and underserved neighborhoods of Los Angeles. The school garden movement is growing and we are looking for energetic, passionate, and knowledgeable individuals to join our fast-paced team!
The Garden Ranger is an educator, a gardener, and a mentor at up to five school sites in Los Angeles. S/he serves at each school for four hours a week and works with students of all grades. S/he acts as the school’s garden manager and teacher, works with the school site administration, and helps develop lesson plans to maintain an educational garden. The Garden Ranger reports to the Program Director.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Hold weekly classes at the time agreed upon at each school, rain (indoors) or shine
- Guide students in general maintenance of the garden with focus on compost, harvest, and cultivation
- Mentor students in and out of class, model respect and curiosity for learning, and encourage students’ interests and talents
Lesson Development and Documentation
- Supplement the EnrichLA curriculum in creative ways that engage students in active learning including but not limited to using colorful flashcards, large posters or singing songs
- Keep track of garden growth and necessity for garden improvements
- Take pictures of garden classes and garden development to contribute to the EnrichLA online blog
- Maintain a healthy and bountiful garden through seed starting, composting, maintaining soil fertility, pruning, irrigation, pest and disease management, successive planting, and planting with seasons
- Spend at least one hour of garden maintenance time per week at each school site
Communication and Outreach
- Write one blog post per site with two or more pictures every other week, at minimum
- Maintain healthy relationships with EnrichLA staff, school community and EnrichLA affiliates
- Based on experience, applicants may be asked to undergo a 6-week unpaid introductory internship before being offered a Garden Ranger position.
- Training and workshops are provided before the start of the school year.
- Bachelors degree or be in the process of acquiring a degree
- Commitment for the 2018-2019 school year (October to May)
- 1+ year experience working with youth in any educational setting
- Experience working in an organic garden
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Self-directed, energetic and enthusiastic
- Submit and pass TB Test and *background check (*Reimbursable)
- Access to reliable transportation
- UCCE Master Gardener Certification (not required)
- Leading volunteers in any work setting
- Classroom management skills
- Bilingual (Spanish)
- This is a paid part-time position. Compensation is based on experience.
- Applicants will fill out a 1099 Tax Form as independent contractors
- Professional development and support is provided throughout the year.
EnrichLA has gardens in over 120 schools and a Garden Ranger Program in over 90 those schools. To find out more information go to: enrichla.org
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required