Details: Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
1240 Randolph St NE
District of Columbia
About Shining Stars Montessori Academy Public Charter School
Shining Stars Montessori Academy Public Charter School’s mission is to offer a quality Montessori education infused with culturally inclusive principles to guide children to develop to their fullest potential.
We are seeking AMS or AMI certified and experienced Lead Guide(s) at the Primary, Lower Elementary and/or Upper Elementary grades to join our dynamic and expanding staff for SY 2018-2019. If you possess a sincere commitment to building and directing a quality Montessori environment, offering support and guidance to parents, and collaborating with experienced colleagues, please consider joining the Shining Stars Montessori school community. The right candidate should possess maturity, dedication, high integrity, good judgment, ability to self-reflect as a member of the teaching staff, and the courage to grow as an educational leader. We seek individuals with a clear understanding of Montessori ideals, deep knowledge of the development of children, and the classroom management and communication skills that nurture self-discipline, order, and confidence in young students. We can offer you a rewarding experience in a growing and diverse Montessori school in the nation’s capital.
Shining Stars Montessori Academy PCS is American Montessori Society and Middle States Association/ Council on Elementary and Secondary School accredited. SSMA is also a member of the National Association of Independent Schools, Montessori Administrators Association and host a chapter of National Association of Elementary School Principals/National Elementary Honorary Society for students in third through sixth grade.
Essential Functions & Accountabilities:
- Understand and promote the Shining Stars Montessori Academy PCS vision, mission, and goals to students, parents, and community
- Develop and administer an authentic Montessori Primary, Lower and/or Upper Elementary curriculum and assessments consistent with the Montessori Method and aligned with the district’s Common Core State Standards
- Conduct ongoing assessments of student learning, and modify instructional methods to fit individual student needs, including for students with special needs and/or English Language Learners
- Conduct individual and small group instruction as needed
- Work with the community of students, teachers, parents and administrators, in articulating and maintaining the integrity and scope of the Montessori Method
- Develop and prepare the Montessori classroom environment, materials, and lessons to meet the students’ needs and interests.
- Present consistent individual and group lessons to the students and supporting each child’s socio-emotional and academic progress and learning success
- Manage and document student records for accurate and complete record keeping and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance, teacher observations, student progress, and outcomes as required by SSMA, District of Columbia and Public Charter School Board procedures and applicable laws.
- Participate in ongoing professional development and in recommended conferences, training programs, SSMA in-service and/or PD workshops, courses, and other areas of professional growth.
- Participate in SSMA Open House, Montessori Saturday Academy, Field Day, and other special/extracurricular activities and programs as requested.
- Participate in reflective Montessori practice in conjunction with the SSMA Montessori Director of Education
- Administer standardized tests in accordance with District of Columbia and Public Charter School Board assessment requirements
- Instruct students in the principles of Grace and Courtesy
- Develop and sustain positive relationships with parents, children and families
- Attend all school staff meetings, and other meetings as required
- Check/examine shared areas such as bathroom, playground, for health and safety hazards
Required Competencies & Qualifications:
- Maintain confidentiality
- A passion for growing independent, confident and intellectually curious children;
- Ability to provide services to all children and families with respect and dignity
- Ability to understand and willingness to work with a range of learning styles is required
- Excellent listening and communications skills
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- A sense of humor
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) from an accredited college or university in Early Childhood or Elementary Education required; Master’s Degree preferred;
- AMS or AMI certification/Diploma in Primary Education from a MACTE recognized or affiliate tep required.
- Prior experience in a Montessori) classroom environment preferred.
- Praxis II certification and passing scores preferred
- Spanish or French language fluency a plus
- Advanced degrees, multiple credentials (e.g., Special Education, ESOL, Music, Art, etc.)
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- A love of children and a sense of humor
Shining Stars Montessori Academy Public Charter School does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- Submit a cover letter and resume, in one document, to firstname.lastname@example.org and rrodriguez@shiningstars and include the position title in the subject line (for example) . Primary Guide, Lower Elementary or Upper Elementary Guide.
- Go to the Careers page at http://www.shiningstarspcs.org to complete the employment application.