Organization Overview: The Stanley M. Isaacs Neighborhood Center (Isaacs Center) is a non-profit, multi-service organization focusing primarily on the needs of children and low-income families, out-of-school and out-of-work youth, and aging New Yorkers. We operate at community centers located in the neighborhoods of East Harlem and Yorkville, and seek to deliver programs that are impactful, innovative, and intergenerational
Position Summary: The Assistant Chef prepares food as per a pre-existing menu based on New York State Office for Aging nutritional guidelines. The Assistant Chef is responsible for assisting in the maintenance, sanitation, and cleanliness of the kitchen and related facilities and equipment.
Schedule: 35 hours per week.
Goddard Riverside and Isaacs Center follow the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19, and are now requiring all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
Roles, Responsibilities, and Essential Duties
- Possession of Food Protection Certificate as issued by the NYC Department of Health and Mental
- Minimum of two years of experience cooking for large groups of 500+ people
- Experience preparing and cooking hot, frozen, and chilled meals
- CPR certified and AED/First Aid Certified or be willing to attend both trainings.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to stoop, bend, lift and carry 50+ lbs.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to multi-task and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Experience or interest in serving older adults in a community center setting.
- Bilingual, English/Spanish is a plus
- Ability to work some flexible hours including evenings and weekends if needed
- Must be able to work on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day
- Assists with food preparation according to a pre-planned menu, and food service.
- Assists the Head Chef with daily supervision of other kitchen staff members and implementation of
- tasks and production assignments
- In the absence of the Head Chef, assumes full responsibility for cooking, serving pre-planned meals,
- record keeping, and the task supervision of kitchen staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Assists in the inventory and proper maintenance of food storage areas; ensuring all food items in the
- storage room are properly dated
- Assists with deliveries as they arrive, storing them in a timely manner, and ensuring proper rotation
- of food and disposables, following FIFO practices.
- Assists in the maintenance, cleanliness, and sanitization of all refrigeration/freezer units (both free-
- standing and walk-ins), steam tables, shelves/racks, work surfaces, all cooking equipment (including
- and especially the range and ovens), dishes, utensils, appliances, tables, and storage areas.
- Reports appliance/equipment failure to the Head Chef in a timely manner and in absence of the Head Chef and Food Service Manager, is able to schedule repairs.
- Prepare, cook and supervise portioning and serving of food.
- Participate in menu planning and develop food purchase orders, submit orders on time. · Maintain Daily Food used records and conduct monthly physical food and disposables inventory.
- Coordinate activities of staff engaged in food preparation, meal service, packaging, and clean up.
- Responsible for safe handling and ensuring proper temperature control of prepared foods, food storage areas, refrigerators, and freezers.
- Responsible for proper functioning, cleaning of kitchen equipment, dining areas, and adherence to sanitation standards.
- Assist in the support of volunteers and interns in the kitchen.
- Actively participate in all aspects of staff development, including weekly supervision, team meetings, and training during the year
- Understand that the above description does not cover all aspects of the role and further duties can be required as needed. Workplace Safety
- Utilize the provided personal protective equipment such as masks and gloves at all times; use provided hand sanitizer as needed
- Wash hands before the start of the work shift and at the end of the work shift
- Follow established cleaning and sanitization procedures
- Report immediately; personal flu-like symptoms
- Report immediately; personal exposure to others who have exhibited flu-like symptoms
The Isaacs Center is an equal opportunity employer. The agency does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, socio-economic status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, religion or creed, disability, or political or sexual orientation. Diversity is a fundamental strength of the Isaacs Center.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of duties and responsibilities that will be required of this position and title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job related task other than those specifically presented in this description. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.