Details: Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Legal Action Center (LAC) seeks a full-time Administrative Assistant in its New York office to provide administrative support to the attorneys in the legal department. The position will report to the Manager of Administration but will work closely with other members of the Legal Department.
About the Organization: LAC is a private, not-for-profit law and policy organization, with offices in New York City and Washington, D.C. LAC is the only organization in the country whose sole mission is to fight discrimination against and protect the privacy of people with criminal records, substance use disorders, and/or HIV/AIDS. LAC uses a multi-faceted approach to effectuate its mission and create systemic change, including impact litigation, legal services, and policy advocacy.
Job Responsibilities: The Administrative Assistant will work in the legal department and be part of the support team to:
- Provide administrative support to the legal department including but not limited to: managing calendars, travel, expenses, and other associated tasks; supporting team members with projects and events and planning team meetings;
- Coordinate all legal department training and perform related administrative work;
- Coordinate and schedule meetings and conference call for the attorneys;
- Make travel arrangements for the attorneys;
- Prepare and file documents for legal department attorneys, including maintaining litigation hardbacks and doing electronic court filings;
- Assist with production of all legal department publications, documents, reports, training materials, grant proposals, and reports, etc;
- Provide technical support for legal staff, e.g., with Excel or other software;
- Troubleshooting equipment, e.g., copier machine;
- Oversee and coordinate updates to LAC’s website;
- Conduct other administrative tasks to support the legal team and office, as necessary;
- Phone coverage.
Job Qualifications and Requirements:
· Bachelors Degree preferred;
· Bilingual in Spanish and English, required;
· Strong writing and verbal skills, required;
· Minimum of 3-5 years of administrative assistant experience, preferred;
· Strong proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
· Working knowledge of the Internet required (WordPress preferred);
· Must be able to take the initiative but also seek direction when necessary;
· Must be able to exercise sound judgment, be highly organized, detail-oriented, and possess strong time-management skills;
· Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to remain calm under pressure;
· Strong organizational and problem-solving skills; exceptional accuracy and attention to details;
· Strong project management skills and demonstrated the ability of multitasking, setting priorities and meeting demanding deadlines;
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple simultaneous priorities;
· A passion for the work of the organization;
· High level of professionalism with strong interpersonal skills;
· Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality; good judgment and diplomacy.
The Legal Action Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Members of LAC’s stakeholder populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Excellent benefits, including medical insurance, 403(b) plan with employer contribution, and pre-tax flexible benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application Instructions: Please email a cover letter and résumé (no calls) to LACemployment-Admin@lac.org and write “Administrative Assistant” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled, but please apply as soon as possible. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.