708 3rd Avenue
The EastWest Institute (EWI) seeks to make the world a safer place by addressing the seemingly intractable problems that threaten regional and global stability. Founded in 1980, EWI is an international, non-partisan organization with offices in New York, Brussels, Moscow and San Francisco. EWI’s track record has made it a global go-to place for building trust, influencing policies and delivering solutions.
EWI is a dynamic organization engaged in high level policy and “action-oriented’ problem solving on critical security issues, engaging with countries, enterprise, international organizations and other leading influencers globally.
Basic Purpose and Function:
This position is the key officer responsible for raising the annual revenue and legacy giving in partnership with the CEO and the Institutional Advancement Committee of the Board of Directors. This position requires sourcing, building and nurturing relationships, and working with donors from the first contact to delivery of their contributions. The incumbent is responsible for all fundraising and development activities including all programs and new initiatives. A professional development staff based in New York and Brussels are supplemented by assistance from permanent public affairs and programmatic staffs based in New York, Brussels, San Francisco and Moscow.
The position requires demonstrated superb communication and accomplished marketing skills, an exemplary passion for international issues and a proven set of management and follow-up skills. A demonstrated network of high net-worth individuals and track record of achieving concrete accomplishments and meeting goals is required. Success will depend upon the ability to develop and maintain close working relationships with all members of the EWI Board and existing donor community, as well as forging new relationships that result in the expansion of EWI’s pool of funders, particularly corporate and family foundations around the world. The candidate needs to be very outgoing.
The VP of Development is a member of senior management and as such has a strong institution-wide role with respect to strategy and policy. S/he needs to be able to mentor and support program leaders to better define and present their work for optimal development purposes as well as to influence EWI’s branding and outreach.
The VP of Development needs to have a high energy level, the ability to quickly absorb complex issues, the capacity to think strategically (“outside the box”), be an outgoing extrovert who communicates effectively with colleagues and others in the EWI network. S/he should have a keen sense of international cultural awareness and sensitivity.
The VP of Development will expand and diversify EWI’s donor base/pipeline by sourcing and initiating contacts, mentoring and otherwise working closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives.
This job is based in New York.
• Support and partner with the CEO, COO and board members on all major fundraising initiatives
• Collaborate with the Chief Operations Officer (COO) to develop and implement EWI’s financial strategy
• Actively work with the COO and others to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include individual, corporate, foundation, government grants, etc.
• Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and include in all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach
• Oversee research of funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position EWI ahead of major funding changes or trends domestically and globally
• Monitor/assess all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to the board, CEO and COO
• Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors; provide guidance to programmatic teams on identifying and framing strategic proposals concepts, including presentations to the donor community
• Oversee, develop and mentor the development team
• 10 to 15 years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources) or substantial marketing and sales experience with added experience in the policy or non-profit arenas.
• Tangible experience expanding and cultivating existing donor relationships over time and fostering new donor relations.
• Familiarity with and experience in international fundraising including EU funding instruments, European governments, foundations, is highly desirable.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships; Additional languages such as German or French would be a plus.
• Commitment to EWI’s mission and affinity with EWI program topics and formats.
• Experience in fundraising for non-profit organizations working on conflict prevention and trust-building is highly desirable.
• A professional and resourceful style; flexible and adaptable; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives; extrovert yet culturally sensitive and a good listener
• Ability to work independently, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside EWI
• Oversee, enhance, and further develop EWI’s donor stewardship program with the development staff in New York and in all overseas markets
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred
• High energy and passion for EWI’s mission is essential
• Ability to construct, articulate and implement annual strategic development plan
• Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
• Multicultural sensitivity and the ability/enthusiasm for working in an international environment.
• Ability, desire and willingness to travel internationally.
EastWest hires staff without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or disability. Minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
No third parties
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply through www.eastwest.ngo/careers
No third parties!