Details: Salary range is $70,000 to $80,000, based on experience. The Alliance offers a generous benefits package and a comfortable work environment in downtown Washington, DC, convenient to Metro.
1850 M Street, NW
The Government Affairs Manager is responsible for helping to lead the Alliance to Save Energy’s advocacy, outreach, education and engagement with policymakers and other stakeholders who can help us achieve our mission of advancing energy efficiency and strengthening energy productivity. This individual will report directly to the VP of Government Affairs and Communications and be expected to work aggressively to develop new relationships and build existing relationships with congressional staff as well as a variety of external stakeholders such as Alliance Associates and related energy groups, with an emphasis on “broadening the tent” to include conservative policymakers and organizations, business coalitions, religious groups and other potential allies. This position will work closely with Alliance policy, research and communications staff.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Closely monitor legislative and regulatory developments affecting Alliance priorities, identifying potential threats and opportunities and helping to develop strategies to address them. Develop expertise across a broad spectrum of energy efficiency policy issues, including efficiency standards, tax incentives and federal programs such as ENERGY STAR.
- Working with others on the team, develop and implement strategies for increasing Alliance Congressional outreach and engagement. This includes identifying potential allies in Congress or identifying legislative opportunities by, for example, closely following congressional votes, bill introductions, hearings and other activities, and identifying districts with significant energy efficiency job creation and economic activity.
- Schedule, attend and sometimes lead meetings with congressional staff, whether introductory meetings or meetings on specific policy issues. Track engagement in Salesforce.
- Track congressional hearings related to energy efficiency and Alliance priorities. Ensure all relevant hearings are monitored and, when appropriate, notes are collected and circulated in a timely manner.
- Working with others on the team, help ensure that, when appropriate, Alliance Associates are integrated into advocacy efforts on Capitol Hill and with federal agencies.
- Promote the Alliance and expand our network by attending panel discussions, receptions, stakeholder meetings and other events related to energy efficiency and clean energy policy. Act as an Alliance ambassador by meeting other participants in these events and discussing our work.
- Develop strategies for building relationships and working more closely with federal agencies.
- Contribute to or lead the preparation of whitepapers, reports, fact sheets, and similar products in support of Alliance federal policy efforts. Draft audience-specific messaging and frame Alliance positions for presentations, talking points, and speeches on energy efficiency topics and legislation for use by senior policy staff.
- Keep abreast of clean energy news and trends, and identify interesting news, reports, etc. to be used in social media, blogs and other content. Write blogs on relevant policy issues. Help find positive local news stories on energy efficiency to be shared with congressional staff.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Four to eight years of experience in government, public affairs, political advocacy or related field. Strong preference for energy-related background.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with Congress and the federal government.
- Strong writing and editing abilities; knowledge of AP writing style.
- Ability to work on many projects simultaneously, meet tight deadlines and occasionally work after traditional business hours when urgent situations arise.
- Team player. Excellent interpersonal skills. Sense of humor.
- Enthusiasm for advocacy- and issue-oriented work and for promoting the Alliance’s mission.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume – in a single file – to apply for this position.
Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.